Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

My 8' 6" cane rod
« on: 18/06/2020 at 22:00 »
About 40 years ago my friend Bill Tagg built a 2 piece cane rod for me.  I used it regularly for 20 years on brooks and small rivers.  I got it out again two weeks ago and had a dabble on the local small river.  It was a pleasant re union and I realised what I had been missing for 20 years. 
It looks like our club are about to secure quite a bit of local fishing and this rod will be ideal.  I have a couple of carbon rods that would also do the job,  probably with more accuracy but there is something quite satisfying about how cane works in harmony with the line, as opposed to the rod bossing the line.
It is rated as a wt 5/6 but I find a 5 wt is plenty.  I was hoping to get a Smallstream #5 for it but the website says out of stock? What is the situation Mike?

Mike Barrio

Re: My 8' 6" cane rod
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2020 at 23:39 »
Fingers crossed for this weekend Terry :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2020 at 08:45 »
Thanks Mike - will order in a minute.  I've been using a Smallstream #3 on the 15' wafting rod for a while and it works just fine.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 19/06/2020 at 09:04 »
Tried to order but still showing out of stock - please reserve a 5 wt for me please Mike.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 20/06/2020 at 08:57 »
Hi Terry

The parcel left the factory on Thursday but didn't arrive here yesterday .... everything is slow and unpredictable in the current situation I'm afraid  :z6

So fingers crossed, it will hopefully be Monday evening, or Tuesday for the next batch of stock going on the website now.

Best wishes
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 27/06/2020 at 08:43 »
Thanks Mike.  Just ordered it.  As well as using it on the cane rod for the purpose it was designed for, it will be tried out as a dry fly line from the boat.  Theoretically it should work very well.

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 01/07/2020 at 21:13 »
Tried the #5 Smallstream on Carsington Reservoir today on a 10' 5 wt Shaky.  Lovely  :z16  Black and red klink on the point. Buzzer  in the middle. Black popper hopper on the top.  It was sweet. Best a full finned 5 pounder.
The Smallstream really is such an easy line to use. Due to it's easy loading I will be recommending it to beginners.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 01/07/2020 at 21:41 »
Really pleased that you like your line Terry :z16

Best wishes
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 03/07/2020 at 09:06 »
Tried the #5 Smallstream on Carsington Reservoir today on a 10' 5 wt Shaky.  Lovely  :z16  Black and red klink on the point. Buzzer  in the middle. Black popper hopper on the top.  It was sweet. Best a full finned 5 pounder.
The Smallstream really is such an easy line to use. Due to it's easy loading I will be recommending it to beginners.

I'd agree Terry. My 'go-to' line for years has been the SLX.

when i got my new rod i couldn't get an SLX in a #4 as they were out of stock so i went for a SS. Despite the name its not only for small streams as i can put out a lovely line on the lochs too !

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2020 at 09:16 »
Great stuff James, really pleased that you are enjoying your line :z16

Best wishes
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 03/07/2020 at 11:22 »
Great stuff James, really pleased that you are enjoying your line :z16

Best wishes
Mike

its a really lovely line, and easy to put out a  good cast. Sure its not got the 'punch' of the SLX but its still a great shooting line.

The initial reason i didn't consider it was the name if I'm being honest. The name 'at first look' implies its only suitable for short cast on 'small streams'  - which isnt the case at all :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #11 on: 04/07/2020 at 10:19 »
I think of it as a micro, integrated shooting head with a sweet front taper. SLX's little brother  :cool:

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 24/07/2020 at 15:18 »
Must confess the line did not suit the through action cane rod but it was very good on my 8' and 9' carbon rods. Surprising how much line will shoot with these rods, although, that is not what the line is designed for.
The GT90 suited the bendy cane rod better. Keeping the line belly inside this very slow cane rod was essential. A DT line would be best - I do have a DT Mallard somewhere??

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com