Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Coming Back!.....after 8 years Away!
« on: 16/06/2020 at 10:09 »
Gents,

Hello, some of you may know me...….however those that don't, hello!

After an 8 year hiatus, (I think), pursuing competitive shooting.....I have decided to come back to the fishing my once favourite pastime, :-)

I have been up my loft and found my bonny reels and unwound both a Barrio SLX and a GT125.....and would you believe after all that time in storage they have no memory and feel as slick as silk!

I sold all my rods though to fund the never ending cartridges required for shooting...….and i am now on the market for another 5wt  to get going again.

My old favoured 5wt was a Sage TCR 590-4...….and I also had many of Sandy's rods, the lovely Barrio 5wt (blue blank) and a couple of the early 3wts.....now all sadly gone to new homes.

The question is.....what do I look at these days, as the rod planet has changed.....no idea what the Sage models all are nowadays and i notice you guys are now all into glass rods!...….any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Am away to tie some flees!...i used to be no too bad at that. :-)……..and get ready for some badly needed practice at a fishery somewhere before getting back on the Don.

Yours, Steven Kidd

Steven Kidd

Re: Coming Back!.....after 8 years Away!
« Reply #1 on: 16/06/2020 at 10:29 »
I have just looked back some old posts...….I sold my Barrio 5wt #5 to Jim Eddie!

Jim.....do you still have the rod and is it for sale?...….I'd like to become reacquainted with an old friend!, :-)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2020 at 12:31 »
Hi Steven

Great to hear from you :z16

Enjoy the come back  :z12

I'll have a hunt through the cupboards, I don't think I've got any of these rods in my 'stash', but I could possibly have one of the dark blue 4 piece ones.

Cheers
Mike

Steven Kidd

« Reply #3 on: 16/06/2020 at 12:48 »
Wow...…..now that would be really something Mike!

Hope you are well, :-)

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 16/06/2020 at 13:03 »
Don't get too excited, it wouldn't be a new one  :z4 ..... if I even have one, but I'll have a look later.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 16/06/2020 at 18:11 »
Hi Steven
A good friend of mine broke his 5# last season, so he is now the happy owner of the Barrio.
 :z18
Jim

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 17/06/2020 at 08:47 »
Jim,

Great to know it is being put to its intended purpose!, :-)

Now what about an Epic 590 Graphite?......they seem all the rage.  and in lockdown it would be quite a good hobby to build one!, :-)….I really like the concept of their build kits, superb idea.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 17/06/2020 at 09:45 »
Hi Steven

You won’t go far wrong with an Epic kit. Straightforward to use and a great rod at the end of it.  590C in my top 5 of carbon rods I’ve had the pleasure of fishing with.
The Epic 476 is worth a look too as a brilliant glass dryfly rod.  A couple of really good ones for sale just now including a packlight 5pc one.
I’m almost 100% glass these days , once you get “it” there’s  no looking back. But it takes a good one  to get it properly.
Some good products available now at better prices too.

Have fun and don’t be worried about building your own, a bit of patience and a good kit and it’s easy

Cheers

Sandy

Steven Kidd

« Reply #8 on: 20/06/2020 at 11:46 »
Hi,

So I've taken the plunge!...…..proceeded to check-out with an Epic 590C ready to wrap kit, :-)

I am excited!!

Cant wait to get back on the water, :-)

Craig Greene

Re: Coming Back!.....after 8 years Away! New
« Reply #9 on: 13/08/2020 at 13:50 »
Welcome back to fishing! I was also on hiatus for 2 years when I got into metal detecting. When I decided to go back, I did some research before fishing again and I found out that I needed to upgrade my rods. If anyone is looking to get the best fly fishing rod, you can look here.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #10 on: 15/08/2020 at 21:57 »
Hi,

All good, i am very much enjoying the 590C now the build is finished, with great pointers from Sandy.

Really happy with the rod, been out testing on some feisty rainbows and event been casting on the Don with an SLX line, it roll casts like a dream and so accurate!.........very different from my old TCR, much smoother and with great 'feel', if that makes sense.

Great to be out casting again, :-)

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 16/08/2020 at 00:59 »
Great stuff Steven .... Enjoy  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #12 on: 16/08/2020 at 19:33 »
Mike,

My  SLX has been in my loft for 8 years and it is as good as the day it was new, still has that supple feel with no memory, it is awesome on the 590c !

Skidd

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com