Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Wee streamers
« on: 09/06/2020 at 10:34 »
for those predatory trout....

Size 8 long shank hook, marabou bloods tail, palmered grizzly hen hackles for body with angelina fibres inbetween . There is a small metal bead for weight behind the eyes !

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Wee streamers
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/2020 at 14:28 »
Those will work James.

:z16

Eddie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2020 at 09:04 »
I love those   :z16

Been Martins minnows for me
Last couple of days. Always handy to have a couple stashed in the box, just in case.

If you can cast  them on a 4-5wt then a wee streamer is essential. Especially in the summer

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 11/06/2020 at 09:37 »
to me it looks like the Martins minnows are tied with funky-fibre / predator fibre or equivalent. I'll have to give them a crack.

I also have some DNA holo-fusion which i might try as its a bit more 'flashy' and mobile....watch this space...

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 11/06/2020 at 13:24 »
I dont have jig hooks but i do have curved carp hooks...

made with :
White SLF blend with angelina fibre
Black holo DNA in the middle
Caddis Tan semperfli predator fibres
size 4 ESP raptor hook(for carp)
orange tungsten bead with epoxy eyes over
( on a Barrio fly box !)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 11/06/2020 at 16:02 »
Nice  :z16

Richard Bates

« Reply #6 on: 16/06/2020 at 20:17 »
I've never fished these but tied a few up to try.  I'm blown away at how effective they are! Even the fish in my local lough, that have been sulking with the hot, dry weather, will readily strike these.  I will try a few on the estuary sea trout for approval.

Is there any preference regarding the amount of dressing? I have always used lightly dressed lures for sea trout but a heavily dressed "fly" can sometimes save the day.
cheers, Richard

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 18/06/2020 at 08:59 »
what 'sort' of streamer are you fishing Richard ? The Martin's minnow type ?

For sea trout in the Ythan estuary 'terrors' are definately the thing to fish. No reason why they would not work where you are fishing...

I've never fished these but tied a few up to try.  I'm blown away at how effective they are! Even the fish in my local lough, that have been sulking with the hot, dry weather, will readily strike these.  I will try a few on the estuary sea trout for approval.

Is there any preference regarding the amount of dressing? I have always used lightly dressed lures for sea trout but a heavily dressed "fly" can sometimes save the day.
cheers, Richard

Richard Bates

« Reply #8 on: 25/06/2020 at 01:02 »

I've added a picture of the most successful "pattern" that I've tried. This is more like a bass or pollock lure and I would never have dreamed of throwing this to a brownie. The thing is, they love it!
I have quite a selection of this type of lure I purchased off an internet auction site with the intention of using them for shore rock fishing. I know nothing of the material used but this particular colour has accounted for over sixty fish in the last week, all wild brownies from  a lough and two wee rivers. Other colours have produced little or nothing.

All three waters contain minnows, which are spawning at the moment and quite active. I can only imagine the trout are quite happily guzzling the minnows and, this lure, somehow, matches the "hatch". 
The takes are explosive and I took a good few fish on days which I may well have blanked. It has also accounted for two of the best trout I have ever caught on my local stream.

The lure has been embarrassingly effective but great fun. I've fished it down and across and upstream with a fast strip. The takes are heart stopping, with a few fish leaping clear of the water as they strike. The lure is very light, with no additional weight,  and fishes high in the water. It still fished well when the eyes fell off, at which point it resembled a hank of baler twine impaled on a hook!

I wont abandon the dry fly just yet but I will keep a couple of these handy!

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 25/06/2020 at 13:37 »
not really 'minnow colours' more like 'wee brown troot' colours. But hey, if its working.... :z16

the scale against your fly really helps. It leads me to think that your fly is made of 'lite-brite' which is a super-fine flash like material. Infact as i have some i may tie up a few.

On a couple of the wild lochs  i fish there is a good population of minnows, so i really need to get out there as im sure the trout will be on the minnows soon.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com