Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Bates

Springer spaniels
« on: 06/06/2020 at 08:38 »
Hi Folks,
I hope you are all keeping well and hopefully harassing the odd fish.
 A bit off topic from fishing but I'm sure a few of you will have a dog or two. I lost my wee shooting and  fishing pal, a Springer Spaniel, to cancer in March and have now decided to get another. The trouble is I cant find a pup in Northern Ireland so I am widening my search.
 I have one possibility in the Aberdeen area which got me thinking of you guys and wondered do any of you have, or know of,  any Springers available in your area? A lot of the local chaps did not breed for fear of being left with a litter due to covid restrictions and I believe its much the same in Scotland.
Any info gratefully received, life is far too quiet without a lunatic hound!
Tight lines
Richard

Iain Stewart

Re: Springer spaniels
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2020 at 12:24 »
Hi Richard, the price of pups across here has gone ludicrous with spaniel pups fetching £1500-£2000 grand due to demand. I fear there may be a lot of rehoming due once lockdown restrictions are over and people struggle to spend time with their dogs. Try Perthshire Gundog Rescue. Good luck with the search.
Iain

Richard Bates

Re: Springer spaniels
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2020 at 19:57 »
Hi Iain, the same sorry tale here. Unfortunately the crazy prices that pups are commanding will lead to indiscriminate breeding and puppy farming by unscrupulous individuals. By contrast, many of the working dog breeders have held back.

On a better note, I have now  located two expectant bitches near me and hopefully have a furry bundle of trouble before long.
Now all I need is some of that lovely rain that the northern half of Scotland has had. Northern Ireland has had the driest spring/summer I can remember leaving many wee streams around here almost dry!
Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com