Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

James Laraway

Re: Highland Lochs 2020
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 19:36:44 PM »
turns out that my 'gopro' copy was still recording during the fight....

No idea what i said so the audio makes little sense  :z8

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 23:28:04 PM »
took a trip out this evening but when i arrived at the loch the wind was blowing and there was a bit of a chill in the air. No matter , i thought it was worth a cast.  The wind had really put the fish down but i did manage to land two and lost one. This was the better of the two

within two minutes of landing this one got a great take and the leader parted. Very strange as i had just landed this fish now worries. Very fustrating...

The second fish I landed is bigger than it looks in the photo but not to worry, both nice wild fish.

The first took a muddler , the second a dunkeld sparkler

James Laraway

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 19:43:17 PM »
Normally I go out for pike and catch trout. Last night I went out for trout and.....

Including this wee specimen

James Laraway

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
after trying and trying i managed to get in amoungst the perch last night, and ended up with about 6 of them. Mostly to zonkers.

You would not think its hard to catch perch on the fly but I've struggled this year !

Also managed a few wee pike on a 'martins minnow'

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 23:37:42 PM »
Yes, it's funny, you can catch plenty of perch while fishing for trout ..... but trying to fish for perch can be another matter  :z4

On the few waters that I've found them, they seem to like a size #12 to #14 wet fly with a bit of red in it?

Cheers
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

James Laraway

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
Yes, it's funny, you can catch plenty of perch while fishing for trout ..... but trying to fish for perch can be another matter  :z4

On the few waters that I've found them, they seem to like a size #12 to #14 wet fly with a bit of red in it?

Cheers
Mike

I've found it the same with pike. When i am fishing lures for trout i constantly get hammered by small pike. Ive caught more pike on yellow dancers than trout by a ratio of about 10 to 1

Maybe i'll tie up some massive yellow dancers for the pike  :X1

James Laraway

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 22:21:47 PM »
and back out after the  wild trout again tonight. Sadly the evenings are getting shorter and colder but it didn't stop me ...

a lovely marked trout in top condition..

Allan Liddle

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 23:19:47 PM »
Cracking fish James.  Be careful when you grip them that way though as you can damage the internal organs.

James Laraway

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
Cracking fish James.  Be careful when you grip them that way though as you can damage the internal organs.

Hi Allan, i think the fact that i was wearing an angled video camera, the light and the angle i was holding the fish does make it look like i was holding it in a 'vulcan death grip' . I can assure you that was not the case so you can sleep easy. I actually moved over to a 'GoPro' type camera so that i can take stills from the video. I find that this way i get the fish back in the water in a fraction of the time compared to if i used a normal camera or phone - as if i was in the tube and wanted a photo i would have to h to land the fish, unhook it , make sure it couldnt flip back into the water while at the same time root about for the camera (without dropping it) , try and get the fish in a position for a good photo etc etc...
Using a video means less good shots but i think its better for the fish  :z16 :

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 20:27:16 PM »
Nice spots  :cool:
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 18:41:20 PM »
Hi Allan, i think the fact that i was wearing an angled video camera, the light and the angle i was holding the fish does make it look like i was holding it in a 'vulcan death grip' . I can assure you that was not the case so you can sleep easy. I actually moved over to a 'GoPro' type camera so that i can take stills from the video. I find that this way i get the fish back in the water in a fraction of the time compared to if i used a normal camera or phone - as if i was in the tube and wanted a photo i would have to h to land the fish, unhook it , make sure it couldnt flip back into the water while at the same time root about for the camera (without dropping it) , try and get the fish in a position for a good photo etc etc...
Using a video means less good shots but i think its better for the fish  :z16 :

Hi James, apologies as i didn't realise you were using a Go Pro on the still shots, thanks for the update.  :z16

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk