Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Nicol

Mayflies
« on: 26/05/2020 at 13:23 »
I just read an article in the WTT Salmo Trutta issue where the western basin of Lake Erie can experience an estimated 88 billion mayflies equating to 3000 tonnes of biomass emerging from the water in one evening! The mind boggles with numbers like that. Imagine that on the Don!

James Laraway

Re: Mayflies
« Reply #1 on: 26/05/2020 at 16:13 »
i know its a TOTALLY different scale but you can get hatches of mayfly on loch ruthven up here.

A few years ago a chum and myself had hired a boat in June and there was a big whitish  coloured mayfly in the boat - but we could not see anything hatching. It was about 25 celcius and fat calm. We roasted in the boat and only got one or two hits all morning

After a lunchtime nap i put on a whacking great mayfly imitation and my pal called me a disgrace and said that no self respecting trout would look at my fly.....

Suffice to say i got a fish on my forst cast and then it was a take a cast from there on !

Turned out that all the trout were subsurface waiting on the mayfly nymphs to rise to the surface. Not a ripple to be seen on the surface but i had an amazing afternoon. My boat partner not so much ( as he only had wee flees !)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com