Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Getting ready for summer
« on: 23/05/2020 at 07:32 »
I hit the vice yesterday for a change in routine and started to fill the summer box.
Having lost all our decent daytime hatches to the lockdown, afternoons  Once we get out will be small stuff, terrestrials and small dark olives.

So keeping things simple and based around Paul Procters APT pattern because it works.

Size 18 Small black thing with Highland Peat scruffy dubbing body

Next up an size 18 Aphid using the Caddis green scruffy dubbing body.

And a size 14 cow dung fly using the scruffy buzzer scruffy dubbing

Any decent fish found feeding during the day should accept one or the other of these, with maybe a beetle or two up my sleeve as well :z18

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Getting ready for summer
« Reply #1 on: 23/05/2020 at 08:32 »
Sandy,

I like the look of those.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 23/05/2020 at 08:57 »
Nice work Sandy  :z16

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #3 on: 24/05/2020 at 14:22 »
Nice scruffy flies Sandy - I think Bob Wyatt would approve!
One thing that fazes me about fly tying is the sheer variety of hook types and manufacturer.  If you had to pick a  few barbless hook types to tie say size 12-22  dries, spiders and non-beadhead nymphs, what would forum members recommend?

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 25/05/2020 at 09:23 »
great tying

I never bother tying below a 16 - and me tying a 16 is a rarity.

Its probably something to do with i tend to fish lochs as opposed to rivers but ive just never been able to convince myself that small flies are worth 'throwing'.

I think i just dont have the patience to fish buzzers or dries - i like to be doing something so i prefer to be  'pulling' wets or lures ....I'm such a heithan.... :X1

Iain Stewart

« Reply #5 on: 25/05/2020 at 14:47 »
As always Bonnie fleas Sandy. I really like the first ain. Almost inspired to get back to the vice..... just for a change.
 :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 25/05/2020 at 18:58 »
Cheers :z18

This afternoon, after a decent walk down the river this morning, I got to thinking about the fact the broom is in bloom, so it potentially yellow may time again on an evening, or should be when we get out next week. So I tied up a few of my favourite Tups/ badger and yellow hybrid parachutes.

That got me thinking about the other summer upwing hatch that can catch you sometimes, those little caenis buggers. So as it’s small , did a variation  on the apt tying style just ditched the wing and grew a tail. Easy enough to tie and might just dig me out a of whole one night

Been nice playing at the vice for a change, last few days.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com