Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Robb

Re: Am I the only one happy with Nicola's decision?
« Reply #15 on: 13/05/2020 at 23:07 »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/13/pensioners-34-times-more-likely-to-die-of-covid-19-than-working-age-brits-data-shows

More figures released today.  Over 65’s are 34 more times likely to die than those of a working age.

Out of all the deaths in the UK, only 401 are under 45.  You then also have to factor in underlying health issues.

I would certainly be staying in if I was older and at risk. 

Terry Coging

« Reply #16 on: 14/05/2020 at 09:08 »
It can be a dilemma for us older guys. I turn 82 this year, similar to Derek. Not a lot of time left for all that I plan to do. 
So, do I stay at home and probably die anyway, or do I go fishing? Fortunately I have kept myself very fit with gardening and building every day plus done 700km on the C2 rowing machine this year. No medication. BP perfect and RHR low 40's. I'm saying all this to demonstrate that all of us older people are not unfit and that we should not be grouped together.
Think I'll walk the short 3/4 mile to the river this afternoon with the little fly rod. The Trent here has been regarded as a coarse river but pollution wiped them out and now the  Grayling and Trout are back, but no one seems to know that. There will be no one else there - my little secret  :wink.

James Laraway

« Reply #17 on: 14/05/2020 at 09:26 »
realistically Scotland is a week or two behind England, especially London, so easing things first down south makes sense,

Especially as a tonne of people got it in London so there is probably a degree of immunity. Mind you we will see if a few weeks as public transport seems to be heaving again  in London. If i lived there i would NOT me going to work if i had a choise.

How much is NS's decision is driven by political posturing and the desire to cause division  vs 'the science' ? I'll not state my view as we dont do politics on this forum which is a good thing.

I was listing to Jason Leitch on 'off the ball' on saturday and he basically said that Scotland would follow England VERY shortly so here's hoping !

So was there such a need for a political 'rammy' up here over something that is going to happen almost straight after england ?

Im shielding my daughter but i think that it is safe for me to go fishing somewhere remote right now as almost anything else i can think to do like walk the dog is far more likely to get me inflected !

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #18 on: 14/05/2020 at 11:24 »
every thing is self self self,although I have underlying health problems , I keep fit for my age, walking to remote hill lochs etc. but I will take my cue from the Government scientists, I would like to go fishing etc.but if I am not loading the NHS. then I will stay put, you lot do what you want :z8 Derek Roxborough

Duncan McRae

« Reply #19 on: 14/05/2020 at 22:08 »
I'm happy enough with the decision.
If the lock down is eased in the near future i will still have around five months of fishing to look forward to.
That's more than enough for me these days.

Duncan

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #20 on: 15/05/2020 at 14:30 »
I'm  Ok with the Decision also, but don't hold your breath Duncan, I think it's next year for a cast, :z18 Derek Roxborough

Dave Robb

« Reply #21 on: 15/05/2020 at 16:19 »
Giving that it’s barely justifiable at the moment we can’t go out fishing, I would like to think we will be fishing come June.

If it is the case we go a whole season not being allowed to fish, the rest of society would still be in lockdown and economy as good as finished.

Just can’t see that happening.

Euan Innes

« Reply #22 on: 15/05/2020 at 19:59 »
Agreed. Sooner the better. Sweden has had a great success with herd immunity, as has Belarus. Way better results than closing the healthy population indooors, which in the history of the world has NEVER happened before. "Only" 300,000 have died globally, which is almost normal and is a very small number considring that we are appraoching 9 billion. London is at a regular 0.1 infection rate. The whole thing is a joke. Aids has killed more, abortion has killed more and suicide is getting close.
Stop being sheep and get out more.

Have a good weekend boys😎

Euan

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #23 on: 15/05/2020 at 20:24 »
so we don't really need any Of Nicolas advisers when we have you, :z8   ,Derek Roxborough                 

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #24 on: 15/05/2020 at 21:03 »
another 384 deaths, so it's not actually going away? Derek Roxborough

Euan Innes

« Reply #25 on: 15/05/2020 at 21:19 »
Stop looking at the MSM  Derek, there have been worse outbreaks. Be sensible, take care but get on with life. NS os full of it. This is less than the late 60s outbreak and less than ebola, which was supposed to be the end of the world. The north of Scotland looked like it didn't even realise covid was happening.
London might be screwed but we aren't. Just a physical observation, not a belief in government statements.

Euan

Terry Coging

« Reply #26 on: 16/05/2020 at 08:36 »
Being positive is key to being healthy - body and mind.  I am delighted that both farmers I have spoken to in the last few days are being positive  and welcoming anglers back on their land.  They both said the same thing "you need the fresh air".  Their rents have been paid and they could have stayed closed. By being positive they have got us anglers fully on their side and respect is being reciprocated.  I observed the gate into one of their fisheries yesterday and every member diligently sanitised or donned gloves to get through.  I spoke to a few members from a distance and realised just how much I had missed a proper conversation with friends. A real tonic.
I have missed one trip to the Highlands already and had two more planned with mates but we won't travel up there until I know that we will be made welcome.  Can't see that happening this season  :cry   There have been no deaths in our ward or surrounding wards here in this part of the Midlands, not even the care homes, but that would count for nothing once we cross the boarder.  By the same token I would not welcome visitors from London.

Iain Stewart

« Reply #27 on: 16/05/2020 at 12:02 »
Stevie,

That was an expensive box, cost you an arm and a leg :X2

:z4 Ba boom.
Eddie

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #28 on: 16/05/2020 at 14:24 »
Yes Terry Englandshire is a different kettle of fish, I am shielding according to my letter from Scot Gov. so I have to stay at home, for my safety and for the safety of others, it's a Bummer but then I am no medical expert, so I have to take the advice of those who are supposed to know, I wish to live so I will look at MSM and any other news I can get, the Care Home at Portree is a case in point, how can the owner bring workers from 600 miles away ?and end up with 9 deaths now, we all have to take care, me even more so. Derek Roxborough

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #29 on: 16/05/2020 at 15:26 »
I am as desperate as anyone to go fishing especially as I do not see anyone most days but if fishing is allowed then so is golf etc. If we all stick to the rules it would be ok.
Keep hearing about the deaths in care homes. [a few years ago they were called granny farms remember.] When I leave this house it will either be in a box or to a care home. Gods waiting rooms. Relatives not being able to go to funerals is sad but when I hear of some one who has died at 93 to me that is a good innings.
Bob.
[Not looking to upset anyone just an old yins views]

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com