Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Cold saltwater lines
« on: 28/04/2020 at 20:42 »
Heres a question I’ve  been pondering.

What sort of lines are folk using for saltwater fishing here In the U.K.

I’ve used the SLX with 10ft poly tips for most of my U.K. saltwater exploits. Overseas I’ve  used Rio Outbound tropical lines but they are too stiff in our cold water.

So has anybody tried any specific. Cold water Fly lines if so were any of them any good, or are you , like me, using freshwater lines and adapting them to the  task.

I’ve not done much off the rocks here yet, but I am planning on more  once we get out again, so looking to see if there’s a better way.

Cheers

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Cold saltwater lines
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2020 at 20:47 »
Sandy, not sure if they are still made but I used to use the Rio leviathan. One size fits all there is instruction with the line on how much to cut back to suit the rod casting weight. I used to use this for Pollack. Very fast sinking and casting was like throwing a brick with a dog ball launcher, however they do go a long way once you get used to it.

Now that I am home I need to look for another line so I will be interested in other people’s suggestions.

Eddie

Will Shaw

« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2020 at 23:32 »
Hi Sandy

I’ve mainly used either a fast sinking shooting head with a standard shooting line (just regular lines, not sold specifically as SW) , or an ancient intermediate Striper line (SA I think).  Both work well.

I’ve also used the Striper line for pike. Can’t say I’ve noticed it performed much different from FW lines. Maybe a little stiffer from memory.

If I was heading out for pollock now, I’d happily take the shooting head and an intermediate Barrio predator line.

Hope this helps.

W.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 29/04/2020 at 07:42 »
Not used it in the salt but I have a teeny t300 line for winter fishing. Line the line previously mentioned it's subtle as a brick but OMG does it fly.....I think Hamish said you cut them to the weight you need. Very fast sinking

Will Shaw

« Reply #4 on: 29/04/2020 at 11:32 »
Like James I have a couple of Teeny lines. They work well. The T150 is great on a light rod for sea trout, mackerel, and small pollack.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2020 at 21:59 »
Sandy,

Why not use your river streamer line  :wink

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 30/04/2020 at 15:36 »
I bought a full range of the Airflo Coldwater Striper Lines designed for US Striped Bass fishing. I like them a lot. They seem to handle well in the coldest of conditions.

They handle things like Clousers well, and have a very smooth, hard(ish) finish to them.

Taper wise, they are not super aggressive, but do cast very well.

I also have the full range of 40 foot plus Coldwater "Sniper" lines. I got them for Pike in a 9 weight.  Aggressive, not very subtle and have a ridged finish. The running line is pretty thin but not so prone to tangles s the Rio Outbound.

My biggest gripe though is than when it is really cold, the ridges hold water and "pulls" water onto the guides. You end up spending a lot of tie de-icing the guides or reel.

I used them on the West Coast for Pollack, and again the ridges seem to pick up sand and dried salt.

However, they do deliver any fly you could want.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com