Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Eyesight and fly tying
« on: 27/04/2020 at 13:17 »
So, as i've passed into i guess what can be called my late 40s  I've noticed that my eye sight isnt what it once was. Threading hooks onto leader ( especially in low light) has become more tricky and I'm starting to notice it when tying trout flies.

I've has my eyes tested and dont need glasses.

Has anyone got a suggestion as to the best course of action ?

Are reading glasses worth a go ? Maybe a need a tying lamp ?

suggestions please

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Eyesight and fly tying
« Reply #1 on: 27/04/2020 at 13:25 »
James,

I am 60 this year and I do wear glasses for long distance and I tie a lot of flies. I take my glasses off to tie as I see fine close up but I find light levels to have the biggest factor in tying. I even picked a house in Brunei due to the amount of natural light that came into the living room and I bought a powerful angle poise lamp for when the light faded. Not sure about all the other guys on here but I would definitely look at options on lamps.

Eddie

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 27/04/2020 at 17:37 »
James
I also struggle tying on flies, I solved the issue by using biofcal Sun glasses.  Not to expensive you can pick  then up for a decent price on e bay or Amazon.

:z18
Jim

Dave Robb

« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2020 at 18:44 »
I struggle with anything up close or small.  So, for when I’m out fishing

https://www.orvis.co.uk/p/flip-focal/1269

One of the best purchases I’ve made.  No messing about with glasses, just flip down as and when required.  I wear a baseball cap anyway so it didn’t put me out any.

For tying flies, I use a hobby LED light I picked up from hobbycraft.

I then use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifier-Handsfree-Magnifying-Detachable-Electronic/dp/B0743BKK6B/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Hobby%2Bmagnifying%2BGlasses&qid=1588009258&sr=8-7&th=1

Instead of glasses.  You can swap out the lenses to the magnification required.  You look a bit of a tit, but hey, who’s going to see   :z4

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 27/04/2020 at 20:20 »
I have worn Glasses since I was 11, in my late 40's I had to get varifocals as my focusing muscles weren't up to scratch,at least that's what I was told, I can tie flies and read with out Glasses but I need my glasses for distance, I don't like wearing shades but some times they are handy for driving, Derek Roxborough

Fred Hay

« Reply #5 on: 28/04/2020 at 06:08 »
I'm now I my 70's and have needed assistance with tying on small flies and fly tying for some and only need glasses for close work and reading and have gone through the scenario you are talking about.  I've tried the sunglasses with magnifying lens, magnifying glass for fly tying, prescription reading glasses and ….. the off-the-shelf reading/magnifying glasses which I find are the best option. They're not expensive so you can choose the 'strength you need/want' have a few pairs 'lying' around where you need them in your pockets, fishing jacket  etc. and for taking with me fishing I drill a small hole on the end of the legs, attach a neck loop and you're sorted.
I found that a light does help when tying flies and recently decided to go for a LED fluorescent which I've wall mounted behind my fly tying bench/desk - the difference is marvellous and it is suitable for low light conditions during the day as well as night.
Hope you chose the right method for you.
Rgds  Fred

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: 28/04/2020 at 09:50 »
Had to give up and get glasses. Got a magnifying glass but found it strange to use. As far as fishing for trout goes I used to use 4 lbs but got that I could not see to tie a fly on so went to 6 lbs. Now use 8 lbs. and can see that. Strange thing is I do not catch any less fish [or any more].
Bob.

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 29/04/2020 at 18:42 »
Ordered some flip focals and a new lamp today. Also tried Mrs L's reading glasses at lunch. They will do for tying smaller flies . Thanks all

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 30/04/2020 at 14:49 »
I normally remove my glasses and sit 3" from the fly!

I spent a rather large amount of money on a pair of varifocal glasses specifically for fishing and fly tying just before the lockdown. I could have bought a Helios 3 for the price!...Are they any good? NOPE!, still just taking my glasses off to tie.  :X1

Not even sure they will be any good for normal fishing, they distort the lower part of my vision (despite spending even more to get the "slight distortion" version). I wore them a few times to go fish spotting in my pond and I kept tripping up as the ground appears to move faster than the rest of my vision   :shock :shock

Hey ho, I shall continue to peer over my glasses when I need to tie on a fly  :X2 :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com