Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Shakey Float Tube
« on: 21/04/2020 at 20:06 »
So we all know that this is the best tube out there, bar the Sparton that it was based on. However the one thing that Shakespeare got wrong was that they put the seat on wrong and so you sit a bit low in the water.
Now that we all have time  on our hands, can anyone help me come up with a good way of raising the seat so that I can sit a little higher.
The idea solution would be to cut out and re-sew the seat the correct way but as it is well stitched and very secure I am not really keen to try that.
I have thought about foam boat seats, cushions in waterproof bags, wooden decking, performing seals and so on but nothing really floats my tube. The cushion is winning so far as it can strap on to the existing seat but I am not sure it could stand being wet for that long or that it might compress too much. The seating position needs to be around 4" higher and less "saggy". Wait, that could be me... :z4
So open your brains, step away from Loose Women and see what you can come up with. No idea too silly (we could all do with a laugh) and all ideas will be considered.

Euan

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Shakey Float Tube
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2020 at 20:48 »
Ewan,

My wife came up with a cunning plan to get me to sit higher in the Shakey.

She bought me a guideline drifter for Christmas  :z16

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2020 at 22:18 »
Could you make a seat sized cordura 'bean bag' with small polystyrene balls as a fill?

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2020 at 22:57 »
Thanks Eddie, not! :z4
Nice one Mike, thinking about it  :z16
Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2020 at 23:07 »
We used to use the Sparton 'wheelbarrow tube' seat cushions as well Euan  :wink

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #5 on: 22/04/2020 at 07:45 »
Foam sleep mat from a camping shop cut to shape and glued together with contact adhesive. You might need two mats but you can get cheap ones.

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 22/04/2020 at 09:29 »
Ewan,

My wife came up with a cunning plan to get me to sit higher in the Shakey.

She bought me a guideline drifter for Christmas  :z16

Eddie

The drifter is amazing. I've had one for a few years now.  Going from a shakey to a drifter is like moving from driving a lada to a Mercedes. A hell of a lot safer but without the price tag

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 22/04/2020 at 15:04 »
As much as I would love to buy a Drifter I can't let the Red Oktober go. I have modified it a lot, including manual inflation whilst at sea inflation tubes for those days that the cold water softens the pressure.
I like the camping foam mattress idea. I will have to do a soak test to see how the foam handles being wet. I have an old Thermarest mattress that could be cut and resealed, so that might work too.
Thanks all,

Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 22/04/2020 at 22:34 »
Euan,

I remember when we both took the shakey’s up to Beanie a few years ago and I got cramp in both legs in the middle of the loch. You had a lot of fun in red October with her distinctive Russian badge. Hopefully we can get back up there again and I won’t get cramp and you won’t get a cold a””e from sitting low if your mods work and IAIN Cameron can come along again with his float tube that’s only marginally smaller than the ark royal.

Eddie.

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 22/04/2020 at 22:44 »
That was a great day Eddie.
I have tibed Tanar with Iain since then and that was really epic.
I like how the Shakey sits low in the water but I need to be a bit higher. Still I have two weeks working from home to try and figure something out.
Watch this space! I will be ready when this enforced denial of freedom and fishing is done.
Still not sure what, but hey ho😁
Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 22/04/2020 at 22:51 »
Look forward to seeing your mods in action. I have moved back home from Asia permanently so when this lockdown is over we need to plan a maiden voyage for the new improved red October and my new toy from she who must be obeyed which is still in the box in my now incredibly tidy garage due to having time on my hands at the house.

Eddie

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 23/04/2020 at 10:16 »
Iain Cameron and I tubed Shandra with Iain Stewart there too with his boys. What a great way to spend a day.
Got a pair of these for the tube too.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fins-fltb-fi-id_8513038.html
Really good  :z16
End the lockdown!  :z4
Know what you mean about a tidy garage. My back yard has never looked so good, the front garden could win prizes, my office had a good clear out and next week we start on the spare room. Busier at home than I am in the workshop this week.

Euan

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 23/04/2020 at 17:04 »
go big or go home
 :z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 23/04/2020 at 20:34 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4
Nice, James, nice! I used to have a pair of HUGE stiff proper deep sea dive fins but I found them too much in the shallow margins of some lochs. They now belong to my wife as her spares for scuba diving.
Could almost get up on the plane with a following wind!

Euan

Josh Richards

« Reply #14 on: 30/04/2021 at 11:12 »
Iain Cameron and I tubed Shandra with Iain Stewart there too with his boys. What a great way to spend a day.
Got a pair of these for the tube too.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fins-fltb-fi-id_8513038.html
Really good  :z16
End the lockdown!  :z4
Know what you mean about a tidy garage. My backyard has never looked so good, the front garden could win prizes, my office had a good clear out and next week we start on the spare room. Busier at home than I am in the workshop this week.
Euan
My backyard looks really bad now.. it needs to be cleared with leaf rakes or with blower even..

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com