Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

#3 weight rod suggestions
« on: 21/04/2020 at 14:52 »
So as the tedium of “lockdown”, kids TV and 60 mins of prescribed exercise daily continues, and with the arrival of this years Orvis catalogue in the post, I’ve been composing a virtual list of tackle I would buy if I had the money.

Thinking about #3 rods for upstream dry fly on small streams etc, what would people recommend?

Budget around £200-300, good all rounder, packs down small for carrying on the outside of a rucksack...

Hamish Young

Re: #3 weight rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2020 at 19:53 »
Out with the special offers that may be available from Orvis - and assuming we're talking sub 8' rod - then I like the Vision Onki range although in truth I've not tried the 7'6" #3wt. I was very taken by the four rods in that range I've tried, smooth action and forgiving in nature. In particular the 10' #3wt was a splendid rod and although I don't need one I am still considering the idea of one of those for... next season, perhaps  :z8 :wink

Dave Robb

« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2020 at 20:29 »
Loop Cross S1

https://uk.looptackle.com/product/cross-s1-medium-fast-action-single-hand/

I know it’s £50 above you’re proposed budget, but probably worth pushing the boat out for.

Oh and the 8’6 #3 is in stock right now at £352.

Or something different, Hardy Sirrus glass 6ft #2/3 £260.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/fly-rods/hardy-sirrus-glass-fly-rod-series~34383.html

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2020 at 20:56 »
Glass is the best way to do a robust and fun small stream rod.
I’ve a Livingston 7’3wt rod I built as part of my experiments this year that is a brilliant small stream rod, it rolls casts better than almost anything I’ve tried and you can bend it double for bow and arrow casts. It’s just spot on for the task.

Budget is the issue. Good glass isn’t cheap as glass cloth is double the cost of the best carbon cloth.

So in a hypothetical world as requested They are over your budget by about 50%

If it was a real world question then there’s a prototype that would be in your budget. :wink

There are some nice well priced blanks that you could build yourself well inside the budget, check out Marks stuff at Taniwha rodworks. His new 7’ 3wt glass blank makes a great rod too.

Sandy

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2020 at 21:04 »
I have a 4pc 9ft 3wt. I made this on Hilevel Blanks works fine but it's about the same weight in hand as my 5wt TFO, I have a Cabelas Blanks 4wt 7pc I mad this up with Ti fittings, its a cracking rod, had a Swannay 4 1/2 lber on it,  super wee rod, Derek Roxborough

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #5 on: 22/04/2020 at 07:55 »
Another vote for Mark’s rods at Taniwha Rodworks. On Sandy’s recommendation I recently bought a 7’6” #4 S-Helix glass kit, just finished it and it’s brilliant.
Mark is really helpful and supplies both kits and complete rods which he can customise to suit.
A complete rod should be well within your budget.

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 22/04/2020 at 15:08 »
Andrew,
Lie to your wife about the price and buy an Epic 7' #3 from Sandy. You will not regret it  :z4
Or get the Onki  :z16

Euan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 22/04/2020 at 17:00 »
Andrew

Quality glass doesn’t have to be expensive,
I know you are exaggerating with the 1k comment as most of them are half that and mine are less than half.
If it was something you fancied trying I can let you borrow one once the fishing starts again and you can try for yourself.
As I said the Livingston rod I got to trial , is a the sweetest little  small stream rod and  the  ex-trial rod would be in the budget  :z16 .
If you fancy trying one just give me a shout and we can sort something out.

My plan for 2020 is in progress so any trial rods will be for sale as I’ve settled on my final designs.

Cheers

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 22/04/2020 at 18:36 »
Another vote for Mark’s rods at Taniwha Rodworks. On Sandy’s recommendation I recently bought a 7’6” #4 S-Helix glass kit, just finished it and it’s brilliant.
Mark is really helpful and supplies both kits and complete rods which he can customise to suit.
A complete rod should be well within your budget.

Never heard of them but looked them up. Nice. Not to Sandy's quality I'm sure but for someone on a budget...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 23/04/2020 at 08:23 »
Mark at Taniwha’s stuff is high quality . He is the UK dealer for Lemke, so I work a fair bit with him.
The rodworks glass blanks are very good, I tried all the prototypes for him and can happily say they are as good as the original epics . Limited colours but very good value For money.
He can put together a kit for sensible cash too and he is currently shipping stuff, so  a wee project during lockdown would be affordable and a lot of fun.

Plenty folk on here can help with advice as would Mark.
So definitely something to think about.
If you can tie a decent fly, you can build a decent rod, it’s not hard :z16

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 23/04/2020 at 09:53 »
Mark at Taniwha’s stuff is high quality . He is the UK dealer for Lemke, so I work a fair bit with him.
The rodworks glass blanks are very good, I tried all the prototypes for him and can happily say they are as good as the original epics . Limited colours but very good value For money.
He can put together a kit for sensible cash too and he is currently shipping stuff, so  a wee project during lockdown would be affordable and a lot of fun.

Plenty folk on here can help with advice as would Mark.
So definitely something to think about.
If you can tie a decent fly, you can build a decent rod, it’s not hard :z16

Sandy

great feedback Sandy and very honest. Well said that man  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 28/04/2020 at 10:36 »
I have built several rods on the Taniwha S-helix glass blanks, and I love them to bits.

If you are wanting a made rod, he has his pre-built glass rods on sale just now, but only down to a 4 weight. I have the 8 foot 5 and the 7'6" 4 and being glass, they cushion small hooks and fine tippets. I use the 5 on the Don and the shorter rod on small streams and burns and I really like it. It is delicate but when that wind picks up, it can deal with it.  £189 plus free postage. That is really rather good!

I also have the 10' 2 weight carbon for nymphing and that is also rather sweet.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TaniwhaRodworks?section_id=23077315

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com