Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Hook recycling
« on: 20/04/2020 at 09:32 »
As i cant go fishing i though it was time to go through my flyboxes and weed out  the poorly tied ones, ones i dont use etc so that i can re-tie on the hooks.

I think i'll be busy for a while - but on the upside i wont need to buy any more hooks  :X2

Does anyone else periodically do this - or am i just 'tight' ?

Bob Mitchell

Re: Hook recycling
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/2020 at 08:34 »
I have a box at the back of my fly-tying den that I put old flies and ones that have seen better days in. Had a look at it to get some hooks and was surprised at the number of flies that I no longer use. Flies like Greenwell glory/partridge and orange/gold and Cinnamon and gold./silver butcher etc. Wonder why they have gone out of fashion.
Bob.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 24/05/2020 at 09:06 »
Does anyone else periodically do this - or am i just 'tight' ?

Quite normal for me. Especially with nymphs. Sometimes seen me rebuilding a fly several times during the season as they get shredded.  Reusing the hook and beads. I use so few patterns these days on just two hook types, so al lot of the older flies just sit in storage.

I’d only start worrying about being tight when you start keeping the thread (beads, jungle cock  are all acceptable :z7)

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 24/05/2020 at 10:44 »
I would gladly recycle all of the flies that my so called mates have nicked over the years, it would save me buying hooks every year :X2

Eddie

Dave Robb

« Reply #4 on: 24/05/2020 at 12:46 »
Flies like Greenwell glory/partridge and orange/gold and Cinnamon and gold./silver butcher etc. Wonder why they have gone out of fashion.

I still like to carry a few wet flies despite mostly upstream nymphing/dry fly these days.

Sometimes, particularly if the wind isn’t playing ball, I like to go back to fishing down and  across with a team of wets.  To be honest it’s a more relaxing way to fish and definitely requires less effort.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 24/05/2020 at 13:27 »
I quite enjoy fishing wets on the river if I'm out on a day where a rise feels unlikely :z16

Single Spey on a trout rod is pleasing, adjusting angles and slack to suit currents etc keeps it interesting and I catch plenty of trout like this  :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com