Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Don't forget what's on your doorstep
« on: 18/04/2020 at 01:14 »
The title is something I've always been aware of with working away from home for years but it's really hit home in the past few weeks just how much fishing I actually do have in my doorstep and just how little of tt I've actually fished. It blows my mind to think that I know some lakes in Malaysia better than some only 20minutes away.

Once the lock down is lifted I plan not to tear off galavanting here there and everywhere.  Instead I'm taking notes on the parts of the rivers within 20 minutes of the house that I havnt fished and work myself from there   :z16

Is there a local water near where you live but you keep saying you check it out some other time as its not far away? If so why not get out there and give it a cast once we're allowed 👍

:z18

Steven.

Dave Robb

Re: Don't forget what's on your doorstep
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2020 at 11:06 »
Should take up cycling instead.

We’re currently not allowed to fish but cyclists are allowed all over the countryside.

Also, not allowed to fish but you can walk your dog along the same stretch of river, just like I saw someone walking along the Urie yesterday.

Seems like as long as you class it as excercise, you can crack on wherever you want to go  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2020 at 12:12 »
There is no logic to some outdoor activities.  Our village have a canal, river and brook running through it. Cyclists, jogger and dog walkers are allowed on the towpaths and footpaths - but we cannot go there to fish? I can either walk or cycle to these places but not with fishing tackle. I walk the dog along the canal and brook and just wonder why locals who do not need the car cannot fish.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2020 at 09:26 »
Should take up cycling instead.

We’re currently not allowed to fish but cyclists are allowed all over the countryside.

Also, not allowed to fish but you can walk your dog along the same stretch of river, just like I saw someone walking along the Urie yesterday.

Seems like as long as you class it as excercise, you can crack on wherever you want to go  :z16

I must admit that the MIMIL ( middle aged men in lycra) brigade are doing my nut in a bit.

It is logical for the government to say that people should go out to exercise - and cycling is included in that.

But the road cyclists indulging their hobby by going for long cycles often through many smaller communities....well...its just wrong ( in my opinion)

They can of course argue that they are social distancing but the same could be said for many hobbies - such as fishing.

Infact fishing a remote loch you are putting yourselves and others at far less risk that the cyclists who are all over the place at the moment.  Going out for hours at a time and cycling 10s of miles at a time is not really abiding my the spirit of the lockdown. It may not be illegal - but many things aren't - doesn't mean its OK  to do them though

Same with jogging - i dont mind if people go out for a jog to get a bit of fresh air and exercise. What i very much so mind is the long distance runners going out for an hour or so at a time - once again to indulge their personal hobby

rant over

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2020 at 14:27 »
I can't forget what's on my door step, our club has 27 lochs and some burns all with in reasonable distance from my house, but I have to stay indoors, so I can contemplate my Navel, the fluff may be useable I wonder if it will dub? so it's another cup of Coffee, or a Banana, decisions Decisions? Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 30/04/2020 at 15:18 »
But the road cyclists indulging their hobby by going for long cycles often through many smaller communities....well...its just wrong ( in my opinion)

Absolutely. I am on a single track farm road that links 5 farms on a loop over about 5 miles. There are about 8 houses on the same loop so we know each other well. The start of the loop is about 3 miles from the nearest village and 12 miles from the nearest town, so they have to be riding a minimum of 11 miles if coming from the village and doing the loop.

I have gone from seeing maybe 1 cyclist a month, if that, to 5-10 a day with groups at the weekend, some with up to 10 riders at a time.

Big deal...or is it. Besides the increase in litter in the way of "energy" drinks cans and bottles, that have saliva on them, they like to spit on the road. With walkers and working dogs potentially walking in it and taking it into houses etc, I can see why it is a criminal offence to now spit in some European countries.

As my house is near the top of the hill, some cyclists have taken to cut through several fields to reach the down hill section of the loop. There are clear signs on the gates saying "No Entry, lambing and calving in progress. NO DOGS", they are opening the gate and walking through. There is now axle grease all over the gates to stop people opening them, and still they try. I had an irate group at the door on Saturday demanding to know if I owned the field as their leader was covered in the stuff where he tried to climb the gate and fell. Shame.

What is more worrying is that they seem to use the farm yards as a rest. They often lean against farm equipment, barn doors or the railings outside the farm house waiting for the others to catch up. The farmer next door is 86 years of age and working 12 hour days. If he gets the virus, he is gone. If his son gets it, who has cancer and has a reduced immunity and other health issues, he is also gone.

We believe there are no cases in the area (tight knit community), and we HAVE to keep it that way, but with cyclists travelling a fair distance to ride past, it is a real worry.

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 30/04/2020 at 16:11 »
Although I'm a cyclist (lycra and all) I have not been going out.  I am however keeping fit on the Concept 2 indoor rower. Typical session is 7 or 8 km 35 - 40 min. It could be said that I'm keeping fit for fishing, as most of my fishing is by boat and I often enjoy a good session on the oars.

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 01/05/2020 at 00:59 »
Rob,
All that is pretty disgusting, but what can you expect from people that cycle three abreast on the Cairn on a Sunday. I cycle between runs. I do a 20k blast around 07.00, don't stop (or trespass) and I am done in 45 minutes, so I get all the benefits of "exercising once a day" but don't infringe on others. A lot of cyclists just plain think they are above every law. They come in to nice coffee shops stinking of BO, give the finger to people who have cars, turn left up the inside of buses and lorries and generally put themselves in harms way, but blame everyone else. I love my bike AND my car and have respect for them both. Cycle groups should be pulled over by the police but then, we have this green policy, so the won't be.
The hateful thing is that if we tried to go fishing some Gestapo grass would be right on our case.
Keep up the good work with the grease. Throw some mud on the road, or better still some fresh cow shit! A tractor on the road would also make their day :wink
You have my sympathies,

Euan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com