Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Crichton

Re: Fishing Literature
« Reply #15 on: 11/04/2020 at 09:14 »
Derek, I enjoyed it. My dad is enjoying it also. I read in my car for 10 mins every morning before work. Gives me some peace and quiet.  Have a book at work for lunch time but don't always get peace to read it, theres a political expert (welder) at my table, who's opinion must be heard. Yea Mike, first bit of furniture we bought for our house was a good old fashioned looking book shelf.

Ben

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #16 on: 11/04/2020 at 20:11 »
I have 5 bookshelves in the house, another book to read is Charlie MacClarens book on Seatrout when he was the manager at Kinlochewe fishing Loch Maree, he name the fly after his wife, My pal is Married to his daughter Maree,
Derek Roxborough

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #17 on: 12/04/2020 at 13:51 »
 this one is for the purists, "The Book of The Hackle " by Frank Elder,I bought my first capes from Him in the 6o's a Cochy Bondhu and an Iron blue, he was breeding for colour before the American Genetic breeders, and before they got round to Crossing in Yokohama Birds with the extreme hackle lengths,He was from round the Haddington Area, The book is out of print , but worth a read if you can get it, Derek Roxborough

Ben Crichton

« Reply #18 on: 16/04/2020 at 09:47 »
Good to see there are some readers on the go. Sadly a lot of people in current society just want to go on facebook groups and ask things like " what's everyone's go to fly for......" and "is ............. fishing well at the minute".  Whilst I'm not against technology I still prefer a good book over the internet myself.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #19 on: 16/04/2020 at 15:05 »
every one wants it to be Instant fishing, very few people want to discover for their selves, so we have You tube and other instant methods, I couldn't live without reading, but I could live with out the rest, Derek Roxborough

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #20 on: 17/04/2020 at 09:43 »
While it is good to sit down with a book the internet has its uses.  I started fly-tying about 70 years ago and had to learn everything by my self. Even a simple thing like winding a hackle had to be thought out. Now you can go on to y tube and look up Davy McPhail and see how to tie anything. This would have saved me many years trying to tie but I would also have lost a lot of the learning pleasure. I spent one season fishing for the trout with one fly pattern [black spider] and proved to myself how much of the tackle we have is not needed. Remember the old tank aerials we had for a rod.
Bob.

Ben Crichton

« Reply #21 on: 17/04/2020 at 11:18 »
Bob,

I agree, I do use YouTube myself for casting videos and the sort.  And while I'm not an active fly tyer (despite owning a starter kit) I have watched some of Davy Mcphail's videos and find them very informative.

What I hate is people who just want to know where the fish are and what their catching them with. Like Derek says they want instant fishing. Do some research and get some riverbank time in. Anywhere I go in the world (not just fishing) I always take a map with me of where I'm going. Google earth is a great thing to.

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com