Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Crichton

Fishing Literature
« on: 03/04/2020 at 08:25 »
Anyone doing some reading During the sentence😢

I'm reading "prospecting for trout" by Tom Rosenbauer. Good read so far.

Also have Norman Mcleans "A river runs through it".  Love the movie, got to read the book.

And I left Jeremy Wade's "how to think like a fish" at work. Idiot!!

Still like a reach for Rivers and lochs of Scotland. Imagine I'm in the places described.

Anyone else got any good reads?!

Ben

Derek Roxborough

Re: Fishing Literature
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2020 at 14:17 »
I have read a lot of fishing books Only one has any relevance , a Man may fish, by TC Kings mill moor, other wise I read Sci Fi. I am reading Pavane by Keith Roberts at the moment, a different take on a futuristic Britain, my collection of fishing books just sits on the shelf for the most part, I made a scrap book out of all the fishing Mags I used to buy, so that is my reference for flies, I have Henzells art of Loch fishing written during the "golden" age,each book since seems to be a rehash, hence my love of Sci Fi.and Kurt Vonnegut for a laugh,breakfast of champions, is well worth a read, hey ho the lock in is making the cabin fever a bit tight, take care all of you and stay in doors , but not like Ms Calderwood, LOL, Derek Roxborough

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 07/04/2020 at 21:45 »
Everything by John Gierach and Geoffrey Bucknall. Agreed on Kingsmill Moore and Norman McLean.
The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway is excellent. Salmon fishing by Richard Waddington still holds value, as does Falkus Sea Trout.
Dermot Wilson Fishing the Dry Fly is excellent too.
I need to read some Lee Wulff, Topher Brown and a few others and if this lock down continues and Amazon or Coch y Bondhu books still deliver that might happen.

Euan

Ben Crichton

« Reply #3 on: 08/04/2020 at 08:16 »
Good shout on Lee Wulff Euan. After reading Arthur Òglesby's book on salmon and sea trout, they were good friends. A huge believer that anything above 6-7 foot rod was a handicap, even for salmon!? Did actually look at his books but opted for the prospecting for trout I'm reading at the moment.  My dad still has the Falkus books, both good reads!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 08/04/2020 at 08:42 »
I picked up a copy of Ernest Schweibert’s ‘ a river for Christmas’. It a bit slower going than I’m used too but he paints a nice picture and tells some big stories. About half way through now.
Thomas Mcguane and ‘the longest silence ‘is one of my favourites and I read it every year, never gets old. It’s next up.
and Rene Harrops ‘learning from the water’ is my table book for when the telly is on something uninteresting , it takes me to the river and teaches me things.

Sandy

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 08/04/2020 at 18:51 »
I have found reading about any sort of fishing only heightens the feeling of Cabin fever, so I try escapism, by not reading about it, because it may not happen this year,I like all the other suggestions except Falkus, C&R was anathema to the man  Roddy Haig Brown was a better fisherman, Derek Roxborough

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 08/04/2020 at 18:57 »
Sandy,
Tom McGuane! That was the other one that I needed to discover. Thanks, off to Amazon!
John Gierach podcast with Miss Vokey is really good by the way.
Euan

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 08/04/2020 at 19:32 »
Amazon failed but Coch Y Bondhu Books came up trumps.
Euan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 08/04/2020 at 19:53 »
You won’t regret it, best story teller by far   :z16

Ben Crichton

« Reply #9 on: 09/04/2020 at 21:18 »
I have very little Respect for Falkus as a man, having read stories about him. His books are probably the most comprehensive I've read regarding tactics though. I don't believe it was only him that was against C and R to be honest, in my opinion it was a generational issue.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 10/04/2020 at 13:27 »
Sorry Ben, There  are many others pre falkus that are better writers, I have mentioned KM Moore, then there is Brennand , Taverner,, PM Phillips, Horsfall Turner,and Henzell,, Derek Roxborough,

Ben Crichton

« Reply #11 on: 10/04/2020 at 14:04 »
I'm not implying Falkus is in anyway the best and I'm sure there are many better. I've just finished one and passed it onto my old man, called "trout fishing from all angles" that was great. I've read a fair share myself some better then others naturally.  I love looking through old book shop shelves to find something I think will be interesting.

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 10/04/2020 at 14:06 »
Aye .... having a forage around a good book shop is good fun  :z16

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: 10/04/2020 at 16:39 »
A friend of mine use to fish the same river as him. He [my friend] was saying how he was a lovely caster to watch but saw catch anything.  Have a lot of old books with some by A. Grimble. The fishing was a lot better then ??? he says on one of the rivers I know a bit about that the year 1904 there was never a fish seen or caught all season.
The modern books [last 50 or so years] all say much the same thing. It is if they have copied bits from each other.
Bob.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #14 on: 10/04/2020 at 20:38 »
"trout from all angles" is one of Taverners, a magic fly tier, Megan Boyd used his Tying flies for salmon, E Horsfall Turner tied a fly Known as Erics Beetle, I have it on a cast most of the time, but he was also a Tunny fisherman, from Scarbrough, he wrote Anglers Cavalcade, this tunny fishing was from wooden Dinghies with the big old Scarbrough Reels, and Green Hart rods, Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com