Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Marr

Camping/hill lochs
« on: 01/04/2020 at 16:25 »
Hello new to this forum and was hoping to find some information.

Planning to go a weeks camping/fishing trip around cairngorms/ aviemore etc this year at some point .

Does anyone know and good remote hill lochs or have any information on any places to camp that we can fish (road side spots + we dont mind walking to find a decent spot either) a list of places would be ideal.

Thanks in advance !

Derek Roxborough

Re: Camping/hill lochs
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/2020 at 20:40 »
I would ask again in 6months time given the current situation, Derek Roxborough

Ben Crichton

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2020 at 08:19 »
As Derek says I'd wait a while before organising anything. In the mean time, see if you can acquire a OS map on the intended area and a copy of Bruce Sandisons book "Rivers and Lochs of Scotland" it's a great book on the subject. Some of the information will be outdated but Google is your friend.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2020 at 14:59 »
Bruces son  said his Dad said it was one of the greatest works of fishing fiction ever written, but Bruce was a Gentleman, I believe he said it tongue in cheek, :z18 Derek Roxborough

Ben Crichton

« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2020 at 19:24 »
It's worked a treat for me so far Derek. The locations and descriptions are all you need. The rest is up to the fisherman.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2020 at 19:51 »
Bruce was a bit of a mate,He used my Hill guide in his book, he also Liked a joke, He used to fish our club waters, at odd times, I don't have his book it takes away the element of adventure, Derek Roxborough

Ben Crichton

« Reply #6 on: 04/04/2020 at 08:09 »
Well Scott, I throughly reccomend the book. It was a big help last year when me and a friend headed to the wilds of Assynt last year.

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 04/04/2020 at 09:18 »
I've used the book and it's great to find out where you can fish. The size of fish you can expect is where the fiction comes in...total nonsense. Saying that a great read and some really useful info 👍

Ben Crichton

« Reply #8 on: 04/04/2020 at 11:52 »
Indeed James. I only eally use it for location and grid references.  The commentaries are a nice touch though.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com