Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Loch style flies
« on: 30/03/2020 at 14:13 »
So despite it looking like our loch trip this year is not going to happen (we live in hope for an early release)

I’m looking for ideas of what type of Lochstyle flies to tie.

I’ve not made any for years and my river box is already full as are the reserves. So need some other things to play with.

I like things kept simple so a handful of patterns would be cool.
I’m thinking Loch Ordie, Kate McLaren, Bibio, Claret bumble.   But other suggestions would be welcome

Cheers

Sandy

Euan Innes

Re: Loch style flies
« Reply #1 on: 30/03/2020 at 19:58 »
Sandy,
A Soldier Palmer would be a good addition. I also love a Mallard and Claret, a Teal, Blue and Silver, a Worm fly and a Zulu
Never forget Hedgehogs and Half Hogs in all the usual colours, especially olive, claret and hot orange.

Euan

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 31/03/2020 at 08:50 »
All of the above. Plus some muddler lures. I'd never tried muddlers till last year and now I wouldn't be without one! Also a variety of hoppers and half hog hoppers

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2020 at 09:09 »

This was my favourite muddler last year. I got it from the fishing shop in stromness and its really done the business for me. I think its  tied on a size 12.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 31/03/2020 at 22:00 »
Invictas my favourite is the Orange Invicta followed by the silver, I tied up a Purple Zulu a few years back and it was successful , Derek Roxborough

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 01/04/2020 at 12:58 »
peter Lapsley had a nice one called Murdochs Butcher, but the other butchers are quite good , derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 01/04/2020 at 14:36 »
Sandy,
A Soldier Palmer would be a good addition. I also love a Mallard and Claret, a Teal, Blue and Silver, a Worm fly and a Zulu
Never forget Hedgehogs and Half Hogs in all the usual colours, especially olive, claret and hot orange.

Euan

by worm fly i take it you mean...

and not a squirmy wormy ?

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2020 at 20:05 »
Close James, close.
Imagine that on a long shank hook, about 1" long. It should still have the middle hackle and a single red tail (ie no red bit in the middle)
Basically from the head back - Red game cock, Peacock Ice Dub, Red game cock in the middle of the hook, Peacock Ice Dub, Red wool tail. The rib is up to you but I like gold.
Bloody lethal!

Euan

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2020 at 20:46 »
I can do well on the single hook version on a 14 extra long shank, Derek Roxborough

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2020 at 22:52 »
Nothing to add to that Derek  :z16 :z16 :z16

Euan

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2020 at 09:52 »
Close James, close.
Imagine that on a long shank hook, about 1" long. It should still have the middle hackle and a single red tail (ie no red bit in the middle)
Basically from the head back - Red game cock, Peacock Ice Dub, Red game cock in the middle of the hook, Peacock Ice Dub, Red wool tail. The rib is up to you but I like gold.
Bloody lethal!

Euan

something like this beast ?

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 02/04/2020 at 11:48 »
James,
Something exactly like that! The original was peacock with a fine wire rib, which is why I use Ice Dub peacock.
The blue does look cool though. :z16
Euan

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 02/04/2020 at 16:03 »
James,
Something exactly like that! The original was peacock with a fine wire rib, which is why I use Ice Dub peacock.
The blue does look cool though. :z16
Euan

I've never fished one. I have a water that i do really well with the 'goats toe' on, i think i'll give this a spin once things 're-open'

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #13 on: 02/04/2020 at 16:46 »
peacock body gold rib and redgame hackles red tag, I think it looks like Damsel fly Nymphs at least in our lochs , derek roxborough

Euan Innes

« Reply #14 on: 02/04/2020 at 17:44 »
Don't know what the troot take it for but I have seen them come out of the water to get one!
One of the best point flies I have  :z16
Euan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com