Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Summer building
« on: 22/03/2020 at 11:45 »
Hi Folks

In case anyone is planning on a build this year, or perhaps even if you get trapped indoors and are looking for something different to do, just to let you all know, I have several blanks which I’m happy to sell on at cost plus postage, some have tubes to match and I have enough bits of flor cork/reel seats/ inserts/rings etc .
All of which I would do the same deal on, so basically everything you would need except the thread and the glues. Partial builds and full builds are also options.

At this precise moment I have the following.
Epic 476 Olive with Epic tube
Epic 580 Nude with epic tube
Epic 888 blue with epic tube
Epic 580 Amber with epic tube and bag
Livingston 703-3 black glass with no tube.

I have a batch of other glass blanks coming in a couple of weeks from Mike McFarland and they are a mixture of Black S glass and  amber E glass.  There is a number of different sizes and they are for me to experiment with to see if I can create a couple of Glass rods of my own for next year.These are to suit the kind of fishing we do here and hopefully fill a couple of niches in the current market.
After I have tried them out to see where I can take them, they will all also be available.

Just email or PM me if you are interested , at any point and we can see what we can do.  I can also help with advice etc should you pick something up from anywhere and need a few pointers.

Best wishes and stay healthy

Sandy

Derek Roxborough

Re: Summer building
« Reply #1 on: 22/03/2020 at 22:52 »
Hi Sandy , looks Like I may be locked in for 12 weeks, so I could be interested, I am in the vulnerable group,  the Epic Nude sounds nice you could let Me know. cheers Derek Roxborough

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 25/03/2020 at 09:13 »
The 580 Nude is now reserved for a build , cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 28/03/2020 at 10:47 »
The Nude is in progress, so thought I’d share (with the customers permission) a few photos of progress over the last couple of day.
This one has a blue theme, with a Pewter REC seat that is a lovely shade of blue, so the rings are bright nickel and the wraps pale blue with two tone blue details.

Reminds me of Icemans helmet from Topgun , now the first coat of finish has been applied

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 28/03/2020 at 11:16 »
Looking great Sandy  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 28/03/2020 at 17:34 »
Looks ace, really like the nude blank.

Eddie

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 28/03/2020 at 17:45 »
Looking good Sandy  :z16
 :z18
Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 28/03/2020 at 18:13 »
If the summer experiment is a success I will have a Nude option on the new rods, as well as Black and perhaps Amber 😉 they will be a longer lead, but more exclusive  :z16

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 28/03/2020 at 21:24 »
888 is now reserved for a build too   :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 30/03/2020 at 11:33 »
Busy this morning, took the stacked cork out of the clamp from yesterday on the 888, ready to turn :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 30/03/2020 at 15:30 »
I got the butt section finished and the rest of the 888 wrapped, so here’s a few in progress pics, with the customers permission.
Now it joins the queue for the rod turners.

Completed with a Crafty shrimp , apparently the #1 fly for Louisiana Redfish for which the build is intended.

Cheers

Sandy

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 30/03/2020 at 20:07 »
Those photos really don't show the blue at its best and it still looks stunning. I took mine out in the sun as soon as I got it home, put the Teton #8 reel on it and just drooled down the front of my shirt.
Beautiful work as usual Sandy. The reel seat is very understated. :z16
Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 30/03/2020 at 20:55 »
The crafty shrimp on the rod is a cool touch.

Eddie :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 31/03/2020 at 06:00 »
476 blank now sold to someone wanting something to do during the next few weeks and have something to look forward to using. hopefully he shares his progress too.

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 06/04/2020 at 13:20 »
So I have a few pictures from Iain’s 476 build progress that he’s happy for me to share.
He has turned his cork handle off the blank and then bored everything to fit.

Then they have been assembled into a lovely looking handle.

I’ll post some more when he makes some further progress

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com