Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Getting ready for the Brown Trout season...
« on: 12/03/2020 at 14:45 »
Only a few days left so just re-stocking.

I know the Goats Toe is quite an 'old fashioned' fly but I've had some great success with it over the last 2 seasons. Big wild browns in particular seem to love it up here in the highlands.

These are tied on size 8 Ahrex B10s.

This season I'm going to try some variants - some with traditional red wool tails, some sparkley red and some fluro-yellow

Sandy Nelson

Re: Getting ready for the Brown Trout season...
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2020 at 17:42 »
Nice...... :z16

Never fished with one of those, I’ve been at the vice today too, doing a Lucian Vasies style  Grannom pupa that I can fish like a PTN. Took some advice and played around a bit, but the final fly looks like a juicy morsel so I’m happy if I find the buggers gorging on these this year again, I’ll be armed and ready for them

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2020 at 20:14 »
Lovely, what's the body made of?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 12/03/2020 at 20:57 »
Caddis green Nymphskin.
I have a fair bit of it left from when I went through Czech nymph phase 10 years ago  :z4
Finally found a use for it again.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 13/03/2020 at 11:01 »
looks a really juicy morsal.

I have some material that i think i could use to a similar effect- https://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying-flexi-film.html

i have a bunch of it i've never used. Its a lot more transparent that the stuff you've used but i think it would work  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 13/03/2020 at 14:16 »
That stuff looks interesting . More translucent would be cool means you can play with the underbody and create different effects. Looking forward to see what you end up with.  I kept it really simple. A bead, latex body and some squirrel hair spun in  a loop.

Looks nice with natural latex body too.

Looks nice when wet too

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com