Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Silicone spray?
« on: 10/03/2020 at 10:30 »
Bought some 'LIVEDALE' silicone spray to re proof my boat coat.
Hm.... why can't I use this on dry flies as a floatant? My reasoning is that the atomiser nozzle on the proprietory fly floatant containers may be finer - maybe perfume grade?  Is the silicone grade essentially the same i wonder?
At a fiver for a 500 mls can it is a fraction of the price.
I am toying with the idea of pre treating all of my new dapping and wafting flies in one go, prior to putting them in the fly boxes.
Any comments?

Hamish Young

Re: Silicone spray?
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2020 at 19:30 »
I've played around with treating/not treating dapping flies, I can only say that using the best of materials and having some amadou to hand is what I have settled on. However, 25 years ago, I used to treat all my dapping flies with a silicone dressing and then 'bake them dry'  in an airing cupboard or next to an Aga for a day or so.

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 31/03/2020 at 14:35 »
Thanks Hamish.  Baking them is a good idea - well leaving them in a warm airy place for a couple of days.  I'll set up a couple of dozed and see how they turn out - if the  chance of a cast ever arrives! Hoping that the reservoirs open up again in June.... 

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2020 at 22:11 »
Many years back I gillied for an old Doctor who had a wee Hair drier and theis was used each time out, he also had a triple flask,with whisky, Rum and Gin,he used to get back quite Merry , I don't think Catching fish Meant any thing to him, as long as he was happy, Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 01/04/2020 at 08:17 »
Many years back I gillied for an old Doctor who had a wee Hair drier and theis was used each time out, he also had a triple flask,with whisky, Rum and Gin,he used to get back quite Merry , I don't think Catching fish Meant any thing to him, as long as he was happy, Derek Roxborough

'A wee hair drier' -  Some one must have developed one for fishermen? Another gadget to hang around our neck! I'll as k James Dyson to look into it when he's completed a couple of million ventilators.

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 01/04/2020 at 11:04 »
I However, 25 years ago, I used to treat all my dapping flies with a silicone dressing and then 'bake them dry'  in an airing cupboard or next to an Aga for a day or so.

An Aga ? Get you .... :z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 16/04/2020 at 17:29 »
I use Diver Daves water repellent spray or Fabsil spray.

Just soak the flies at home, leave to dry and you wont need to reproof on the bank. Works brilliantly on Klinks, and normal dries but needless to say, wont work on dries that need to me more "in" the water. Klinks work because I invariably have a 3mm tungsten bead nymph under them :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com