Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Repaired rod does the business
« on: 09/03/2020 at 09:50 »
Followers of the forum will know that I broke my favourite #6 last summer in Orkney.

The rod snapped when I was driving between lochs, 3rd ring down from the top ( in between the 2 legs of the snake ring)

So I repaired it using the top of  a course fishing whip  - sliding it inside the blank with some 5 min epoxy then roughly whipping over it using GSP tying thread ( as its bomb proof).

the repair isn't pleasing to the eye as you can see

However I fished the rod a few times last year. Cast OK, but is more 'tippy' than it was - only to be expected as it has a short section of material inside the blank now about an inch either side of the break)

I got a few wild trout on it last year up to about 2.5 lbs and it did well

On Saturday it was cold and windy so was time for a fast sinking line - so out came the repaired rod again ( I now use this one for sinking lines as its got more 'backbone' than my other rod now) and im pleased to say it can handle bigger fish nae bother

if it can handle that then it can handle almost anything ! So pleased I repaired it rather than chucking it away. Makes a great backup rod  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com