Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Making stuff
« on: 02/03/2020 at 09:44 »
I am not a hoarder but I don't like disposing of anything without thinking 'what can I make out of that'?
I was looking at an old 15' home made carbon  salmon rod last week that I bought for £10 - it was at a game fair and I needed a walking staff. Anyway, this rod must have been for a 12 weight. Hmm! the bottom section is strong enough for a landing net handle.
So I now have a 5' unsinkable landing net handle.  It was made unsinkable by gluing 8 drilled out wine corks on the net end. The original handle was retained, so it floats nicely. The top two sections will be made into a 10' ledger rod. I also coarse fish and most of my kit is made from what comes along. I'm sure others do the same?

Kerry Jordan

Re: Making stuff
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2020 at 18:54 »
Good topic! Making a hand net unsinkable  by  attaching leftover pipe insulation around its circumference fastened by electrical ties.  Not my idea originally - Andy Buckley Youtube.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2020 at 23:03 »
My Landing Net is made from a willow branch , forked with branches  that made a 16in diam ring when joined , I made a frame from an old wooden Tennis racket , the willow one is about 4ft long I use it in the boat, I am quite frugal with my gear, :z4 Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 03/03/2020 at 09:03 »
Like your style Derek  :z16...I also had a Renault4 fishing wagon - are we living // lives?
Must have a go at making a rustic landing net - bet you could have made the net as well in the old days Derek?

I'm fortunate enough to have a good workshop including a lathe. With the lathe and 3/8" bsf taps and dies almost any bits and pieces can be made.
Last year I made an 'all terrain'  trolley for coarse fishing -  our barbel stretch  of river is a very long and tough scramble to reach and normal trolleys did not have enough ground clearance.  Some scrap tubing and two old MTB wheels solved the problem. Cost nothing. 

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 03/03/2020 at 17:34 »
Nice work Terry. I suspect "acquiring" 8 wine corks was the fun bit😉🍷
Euan

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 03/03/2020 at 20:52 »
Nice work Terry. I suspect "acquiring" 8 wine corks was the fun bit😉🍷
Euan
Unfortunately the wine corks were new  :z8  I have a bee in my bonnet about the supposed shortage of decent cork. I have spent half of my retirement in France where I made cider (100 gall a season av) and bottled my own wine that was  bought in bulk from a St Emillion Chateau. I could buy very nice corks from  the farmers store or garden centres quite cheaply. They varied a bit in size but a bag of 50 would only cost about 10 euro = 5 trout rod handles! I have seen some crap handles on expensive rods!! No excuses please. I bought the last two bags of corks last year so fairly up to date.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 03/03/2020 at 22:13 »
Yes Terry I still make net, when I need it  but It's all Knotless these days, I have a decent work shop (2) with a small center lathe, and a wood turning Lathe, I am a bit of a fiddler Much to the wifes disgust, Derek Roxbporopugh

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2020 at 10:30 »
Many moons ago, I used to make pretty much everything as it was not available in the shops.

Rods, rod rests, bite alarms, indicators, leads, bivvies, umbrella extensions, bedchairs, bait...the list was long.

Fly anglers had it easy ;)

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 10/03/2020 at 10:37 »
Many moons ago, I used to make pretty much everything as it was not available in the shops.

Rods, rod rests, bite alarms, indicators, leads, bivvies, umbrella extensions, bedchairs, bait...the list was long.

Fly anglers had it easy ;)
Plenty still to make for fly fishing though Rob.  I've made several boat seats, drogues and anchors.  I'm now thinking about a single wheeled barrow with a low c of g to cart electric o/b and battery. those batteries are getting heavier  :X2

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 10/03/2020 at 13:06 »
Plenty still to make for fly fishing though Rob.  I've made several boat seats, drogues and anchors.  I'm now thinking about a single wheeled barrow with a low c of g to cart electric o/b and battery. those batteries are getting heavier  :X2

Rods, agreed. :) The rest does not affect me as they get upset if you fish from a boat on the Don lol.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com