Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Stewart

Favourite Scottish Fishing Locations
« on: 06/03/2020 at 07:22 »
Morning gents,
Being offshore and longing for troot season to arrive I wanted to follow on from Sandy's who do you want to spend a day fishing with for something similar. Where is your favourite place to fish in Scotland. I thought this might be nice if you can say a bit about it as it may help others to find a new adventure in 2020.
For rivers I am torn between my childhood Conglass river near Tomintoul and the Line water which ran into the Tweed. I fished both as a youngster and have fond memories. My best off the Conglass was a 4lb sea trout which my dad accused me of a set up. I remember my first Grayling on the Line, I had no idea what it was and my dad said it was the first Grayling he had ever seen.  I used to get a kids permit for the farmers water for the Avon  (tributary of the Spey) which was the big river to me then.
I only started loch fishing when I moved to Drummond Fish Farm in 1994 as we had access to the Drummond Estate Loch once a week by courtesy of the factor. It had been stocked with Leven Trout many moons ago and you got tiny bars of silver on little stripped peacock herl buzzers. I think though for me Durness Limestone Lochs are hard to beat. Not only is the drive there so amazing, the scenery stunning, but the fishing itself can be either brutal and soul destroying or so amazing you can't quite believe it to be real.
Tight lines for everyone this season and I look forward to hearing about some new rivers and lochs which may get a visit this year.  :wink

Derek Roxborough

Re: Favourite Scottish Fishing Locations
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2020 at 15:29 »
Gualin Lodge Lochs, but any where I can reach at the moment,Derek Roxborough

Dave Robb

« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2020 at 18:55 »
Anywhere upstream of Alford on the Don is all I need.

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 06/03/2020 at 21:20 »
So many places, so little fish  :z4
Salmon - Upper Beauly (so magic and quiet)
                    Invery on the Dee (so many memories)
                    Ballogie on the Dee (ditto, especially sea troot)
                    Lower Woodend (in the hay days just epic)

Troot - Loch Ruthven (quiet and trooty)
                Glen Tanar (EPIC on an Epic #3)
                Loch Beannie (lots of troot in a great theater)
                Any wee Highland burn!
Oh hell, anywhere in the Highlands FFS!!!

Euan

Iain Stewart

« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2020 at 21:25 »

Oh hell, anywhere in the Highlands FFS!!!

Euan

:z18

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2020 at 22:24 »
Even though I reckon this could be a clever (well for yourself :wink) means of gatherong more ideas for your next fishing trips I'll play along 😜

Firstly I'm glad that you narrowed it down to Scotland as it would have been a real struggle not to instantly say Giant Snakehead fishing in the Malaysian jungle 😎

Anyways, for me it has to be the limestone lochs of Durness for the troots and Middle Drum on the Dee for Tourists  with Invery a very close second and only beaten on memories as opposed to better fishing.

Steven.

Iain Stewart

« Reply #6 on: 07/03/2020 at 05:20 »
Even though I reckon this could be a clever (well for yourself :wink) means of gatherong more ideas for your next fishing trips I'll play along 😜

Firstly I'm glad that you narrowed it down to Scotland as it would have been a real struggle not to instantly say Giant Snakehead fishing in the Malaysian jungle 😎

Anyways, for me it has to be the limestone lochs of Durness for the troots and Middle Drum on the Dee for Tourists  with Invery a very close second and only beaten on memories as opposed to better fishing.

Steven.

Dinna worry I hold no lies here buddy.  :z4 :z4 :z4
"Tight lines for everyone this season and I look forward to hearing about some new rivers and lochs which may get a visit this year.  :wink"

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 07/03/2020 at 16:01 »
So much choice and not enough time. Durness then Assynt. Don at castle Forbes and Monymusk covers all the favourite trout waters for me.

Salmon is the Dee at Invery and Middle Drum. Lastly first week of May at Easter Elchies on the Spey.

However I do agree with Euan on his choices and there is one loch on Berneray that I have unfinished business with. I am moving back home in April and intend to try and visit all of the above and more as much as I can, it’s been way too long.

Eddie

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 07/03/2020 at 19:24 »
However I do agree with Euan on his choices and there is one loch on Berneray that I have unfinished business with.
Is that the loch with the ruined cottage and the drop off about 20m out from the shore? If it is then I too, and Hamish,  have unfinished business there. I hooked and lost what looked like the 3rd largest troot I have every been attached to. I now have and Epic 656 in Luke Skywalker blue that needs to see that loch. There is also my Orvis skagit chucker that needs a Uist visit....
We may need to discuss this further Eddie😉
Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 08/03/2020 at 03:36 »
Euan,

It is the same loch.

Look forward to a catch up when I get home in April.

Eddie

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #10 on: 08/03/2020 at 14:26 »
don't get stuck in the Mud if you go ashore, :X1 derek roxborough

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 22/03/2020 at 22:56 »
Morning gents,
Being offshore and longing for troot season to arrive I wanted to follow on from Sandy's who do you want to spend a day fishing with for something similar. Where is your favourite place to fish in Scotland. I thought this might be nice if you can say a bit about it as it may help others to find a new adventure in 2020.
For rivers I am torn between my childhood Conglass river near Tomintoul and the Line water which ran into the Tweed. I fished both as a youngster and have fond memories. My best off the Conglass was a 4lb sea trout which my dad accused me of a set up. I remember my first Grayling on the Line, I had no idea what it was and my dad said it was the first Grayling he had ever seen.  I used to get a kids permit for the farmers water for the Avon  (tributary of the Spey) which was the big river to me then.
I only started loch fishing when I moved to Drummond Fish Farm in 1994 as we had access to the Drummond Estate Loch once a week by courtesy of the factor. It had been stocked with Leven Trout many moons ago and you got tiny bars of silver on little stripped peacock herl buzzers. I think though for me Durness Limestone Lochs are hard to beat. Not only is the drive there so amazing, the scenery stunning, but the fishing itself can be either brutal and soul destroying or so amazing you can't quite believe it to be real.
Tight lines for everyone this season and I look forward to hearing about some new rivers and lochs which may get a visit this year.  :wink

Also fished the Lyne for Grayling before i moved up to Moray.
Enjoy the Conglass as well, there's some other cracking wee streams around these parts as well.

For me my favourite places are man in Scotland, but if forced to only one then it would have to be Harray Loch on the Orkney Mainland; although it would also have to have the Deveron running out of it

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #12 on: 23/03/2020 at 13:24 »
My favourite lochan is so small it was missed off the new Metric OS maps, it's on them now , it's a bonny Magic little loch, with a decent head of hard fighting trout I can use my 2 wt on it, if it's not to windy, :cool:  Derek Roxborough

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: 17/04/2020 at 09:52 »
Have 3 lochs half an hour drive from the house from 86 acres to 300 plus acres. Sitting on the dam wall looking up you would think you were far up north. I also have 5 miles of the river Earn which can be very good.
I am quite content with all that and have no wish to try elsewhere.
Bob.

Ben Crichton

« Reply #14 on: 17/04/2020 at 11:20 »
Bob, where you from out of curiosity?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com