Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fishing Jackets
« on: 20/02/2020 at 12:22 »
Fishing jackets ..... What's everybody using nowadays?

James Laraway

Re: Fishing Jackets
« Reply #1 on: 20/02/2020 at 13:00 »
as a 'lightweight jacket I have the Airflo Airtex jacket - really nice and quite 'modern'

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 20/02/2020 at 13:55 »
What do you mean by 'modern' James?

There does seem to be a move towards standard jackets in fishing brand catalogues, rather than what I would think of as 'fishing' jackets ( puffa/down jackets for example ) the exception being wading jackets.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2020 at 15:26 »
I have a Bog Basic Mountain warehouse  mesh lined Jacket with w/proof zips ity was under £40 , it's starting to get a bit raggy but fine for the Money, any thing for the angler is at premium prices, and as a pensioner I have to make my cash spin out, Derek Roxborough

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2020 at 15:42 »
Not a fan of the “modern”  jackets. Hate the puffa style and any weird and wonderful colours, has to be olive for me.
 :z18

Jim

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2020 at 16:21 »
When I say modern I mean the style / design. To me it looks like something that 'the north face' would design - kinda funky looking

Its a 'proper wading jacket' in that its not lined so is designed to me worn on the outside of your chest waders and will dry out easily.

its got a nice hood, lots of pockets for 'stuff' etc

It'll not keep you warm but then again I guess that is not what its designed for as its a wading jacket and is there to keep you dry

What do you mean by 'modern' James?

There does seem to be a move towards standard jackets in fishing brand catalogues, rather than what I would think of as 'fishing' jackets ( puffa/down jackets for example ) the exception being wading jackets.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 20/02/2020 at 19:47 »
I’ve a well worn Olive and grey RAB, which was my good jacket for a few years, but the seatbelt in the car had roughed up the right shoulder, so it got relegated to being my fishing jacket. Best one I’ve ever had 👍

Sandy

Dave Robb

« Reply #7 on: 20/02/2020 at 23:26 »
Orvis Ultralite wading jacket.

Packs up really small so it’s easy to carry in a small pack and whip out when needed.  It’s the one thing where I do think buying actual fishing kit is necessary for the right pockets, D loop etc.  It was a good addition to my kit last year.

Other than that, go into any decent walking shop and buy kit from there as fishing stuff seems to carry a premium price purely for having Simms, Orvis or whatever on it. 

And yeah, you can’t got wrong with RAB, Patagonia or Mountain Equipment for gear that should last, plus it’s built for crap weather.

The only issue with some walking gear is the tighter fit sometimes, so arm movement can be restricted if you’re not careful.

Case in point.  Orvis are currently wanting £229 for the ‘Pro Insulated Hoody’
https://www.orvis.co.uk/p/men-s-pro-insulated-hoody/2sgh

It looks really nice and I would like one, but you can go into Tisos or such and pick up a quality softshell for inside £150. 

Something like this

https://rab.equipment/uk/salvo-jacket

You can obviously get much cheaper as well but I’m trying to match like for like.

It’s really frustrating how over priced branded fishing clothing is.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #8 on: 21/02/2020 at 13:14 »
Don't have a proper jacket at the moment but my wading jacket at the moment is the Scierra Kenai.
It's the only wading jacket that i could source locally that has a good sized back pocket.
After wearing Barbour beauforts for many years in the past,i find that a back pocket has become indispensable for me.

Duncan

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 21/02/2020 at 15:16 »
don't do much Deep wading these days, so My Mountain Warehouse Jacket has done me for the last 6years, I gave up on Barbour when I found they used to wear on the creases, I ended up with More patches than jacket on my Northumbria, my now jacket has one patch thanks to Barbed wire , Derek Roxborough

Graham Nicol

« Reply #10 on: 23/02/2020 at 18:03 »
For early season cold water work I use Simms and as weather warms up a foldable Columbia. Both I have had for more than 10 years now and are still 100% waterproof

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 28/02/2020 at 12:11 »
All year with my Hodgeman Aesis Sonic lightweight.
https://www.angusangling.com/products/fly-fishing/clothing/jackets/wading-jackets/hodgman--aesis-sonic-wadelite-wading-jacket--olive=8912
Very packable, very light and not expensive. Warmth comes from layers of Helly Hansen Workwear thermals.

Euan

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 02/03/2020 at 09:23 »
Looking for a new boat coat. I like zingers and a generous hood/collar.  Any recommendations?
My current coat is over engineered with industrial grade  velcro on the  pockets and annoying velcro on the wrist end of the sleeves.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 09/03/2020 at 09:33 »
Still using my Paramo Velez light. Super jacket.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com