Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Who would you most like to fish with
« on: 15/02/2020 at 16:49 »
Im borrowing a topic from another forum that I enjoyed reading. It was an American forum so it’ll be interesting to see what the differences are here.

So  given access to the whole of history who would you most like to spend the day fishing with?

For me, in an uncharacteristically sentimental way, I would love to spend the day with my Grandad who I went everywhere with as a kid and who knew more about fishing than most, but never fished.  I think he would really enjoy the way we do things now. It would appeal to his hunters instincts.
And his spotters eyes would be impressed with some of our big browns.

On a more  unsentimental  note I think I’d love to spend the day  fishing with Skues, especially if we got to meet up with Halford and  I could watch them discuss things, that I reckon , they secretly admired each other for.

Mike Barrio

Re: Who would you most like to fish with
« Reply #1 on: 15/02/2020 at 17:21 »
The first thing that came to my mind was a day on a loch with Billy Connolly  :z12

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 15/02/2020 at 20:38 »
April Vokey, :z14 Derek Roxborough

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 15/02/2020 at 22:32 »
April Vokey, :z14 Derek Roxborough
Maybe 30 years ago Derek  :z4

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 16/02/2020 at 10:42 »
That's a bloody tough question to answer.

I think, like Sandy, I'll need to have two answers based on sentimental and aspirational.

Sentimentally I'd like to fish with my Dad again. He's quite infirm now and, whilst he lives just yards from some of the best water on the Deveron, he'll never fish it again - nor is it likely he'll even manage part of a day at Artloch again. Missed opportunities.... when you think you have the time to do these things again, you don't  :cry

Aspirational list is crazy. Immediately names like Skues, Oglesby, Currie, JJ Mann, Hemingway, Eric Clapton, Paul Whitehouse and so on. Each with their 'USP' which intrigues me to know what a day afloat or on a river with them would be like. Coming down to one person is tough, really tough.
I think  it would have to be Charles Ritz who did, to my mind at least, have an incredible influence on rod and line design, was a formidable fisher, fishing adventurer and scribe.

H

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 16/02/2020 at 16:32 »
Maybe 30 years ago Derek  :z4

:z18

Jim
It's alright Jim She hasn't changed a bit, :z4 Derek Roxborough

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2020 at 22:19 »
Being sensible now , My fishing is entirely self taught, no one in my family ever fished, I started at the local harbour , with a handline, I didn't have a rod until I bought one of those Japanese Cane rods, while I was in Aden, that started the downward spiral, I said April Vokey with a bit of a joke , but she is a tremendous caster and fisher woman and a decent fly tier, as well as Being a Bonny Lass, :wink   Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 25/02/2020 at 11:26 »
The first thing that came to my mind was a day on a loch with Billy Connolly  :z12

I got a hug off Billy in Somers. He was in with Eric Idle and up for the Lonach Gathering. Must be a good 10 years ago now.

We spoke about Pike fishing on Loch Lomand and he had said he wanted to try fly fishing for them. Must have chatted for a good 10 minutes before Eric fell down the steps lol.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 25/02/2020 at 11:43 »
Babs Kijewski. One of the best all round anglers out there. She has so much enthusiasm and go about her plus a string of stunning catches under her hat.

However, the great Chris Yates would be my first choice if it were about personality and passion.

Better known for his carp and barbel angling, he has a real love for chalk stream brown trout on the dry and cane.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 25/02/2020 at 15:14 »
Chris Yates was on my list too, very close to the top.

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #10 on: 27/02/2020 at 18:14 »
Would have to be Hugh Falkus (sp :z8)
Spent endless nights as a kid listening to his tapes on salmon & sea trout fishing. Certainly ignited a spark in my interest with the silvers

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #11 on: 28/02/2020 at 01:21 »
As has already been mentioned, there are far too many to choose from to select an individual. Frank Sawyer, Hugh Falkus, Moc Morgan, Henrik Mortensen, Goran Anderson. Which species do I target?

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 28/02/2020 at 12:05 »
I have to agree with the Grandad thing. He would be shocked at how things have moved on as far as tackle goes but we would probably still tie on his favourite fly. He used to make wee tubes from Bic Biro refills and lash on some Labrador hair which he had snipped off a friend Chocolate Lab, Milly. She was a fine dog so she could come too.

Other than that, John Gierach, Hugh Falkus, Henrik Mortensen, Lefty Kray,  and April Vokey would be a good week on the water.
Ernest Hemmingway is my final answer. If there were no fish about we could both go and enjoy a case of wine and a dram or ten together.
Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 28/02/2020 at 15:58 »
Great stuff, lots of interesting replies ..... but like most things in life, I think it comes down to friends and family first  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 29/02/2020 at 22:47 »
This may sound a little bit lame but apart from really wanting to see mr Grant casting his wooden rod prodigious distances without all of our modern technology I am lucky enough to be able to fish with my pals and especially my son Steven. There is serious competition between the two of us when we fish but the upside is that we spend time together doing what we both like to do and I hope to do it for many years to come and soon get the grandchildren to join in too.

Eddie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com