Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Re: Who would you most like to fish with
« Reply #15 on: 02/03/2020 at 14:34 »
This may sound a little bit lame but apart from really wanting to see mr Grant casting his wooden rod prodigious distances without all of our modern technology I am lucky enough to be able to fish with my pals and especially my son Steven. There is serious competition between the two of us when we fish but the upside is that we spend time together doing what we both like to do and I hope to do it for many years to come and soon get the grandchildren to join in too.

Eddie

It may well seem soft but its the same deal for me  :z16 whilst the competitive element is most certainly spurred on more so by yours truly it does help to push me to be a more proficient angler and my love of the dark side often runs off on you occasionally as a result which is never a bad thing 👍 now that you've moved home I'm looking forward to more adventures together.

:z18

Steven.

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: 03/03/2020 at 12:01 »
Hamish Young or Mike Barrio...

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 03/03/2020 at 19:59 »
Hamish Young or Mike Barrio...
  :shock

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 03/03/2020 at 20:18 »
 :shock  :shock

James Laraway

« Reply #19 on: 04/03/2020 at 09:58 »
to be fair that would be so i could scab a new fly lines to test and get a free casting lesson  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 04/03/2020 at 16:39 »
to be fair that would be so i could scab a new fly lines to test and get a free casting lesson  :z4

Dunno about that  :z4  :z4  :z4
But we haven't had a social fishery day for a few years, might be worth considering having a get together again  :?

James Laraway

« Reply #21 on: 04/03/2020 at 16:48 »
Dunno about that  :z4  :z4  :z4
But we haven't had a social fishery day for a few years, might be worth considering having a get together again  :?

i think that would be a great idea

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 04/03/2020 at 16:53 »
i think that would be a great idea

OK, I'll start a new topic  https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8788.0  and we can see what folk think without messing up Sandy's post  :wink

Duncan McRae

« Reply #23 on: 05/03/2020 at 13:46 »
I would like to spend a day fishing with the late Jack Hargreaves who presented the Out of town programme and who also started my fishing obsession.
I remember rushing home from school in the 1970s to catch Jack's programme, as there was always a small part of the programme dedicated to fishing.
Be it Barbel,Chub whatever species didn't matter.It was the sight of the float disappearing under the water when the fish had taken the bait that got me hooked.
It would be great to spend a day listening to Jack's tales of the old country ways which he obviously cared very much about.

Duncan

Iain Stewart

« Reply #24 on: 05/03/2020 at 14:40 »
Magic topic Sandy.
I do get the pleasure of fishing with my friends and family regularly so I am going to take them as a given. Fishing with my kids is the dogs, its a day out and I love to see them triumph on their own. I also enjoy my time with the Sinclairs and Will Hendry. I learn loads and the banter is also good. Our annual trip to Durness is the dogs every year and extends the fishing friendship further, and my long time pal John Docherty in North Uist is alway a pleasure to spend a day with.
All that aside if I had to pick someone from the depths of time, it would be a blend of Al Murray, Meg Ryan, Winston Churchill and God. I could laugh, oogle, get drunk and ask why the fudge did you invent work!  :z4  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 05/03/2020 at 15:05 »
I would like to spend a day fishing with the late Jack Hargreaves who presented the Out of town programme and who also started my fishing obsession.

There you go Duncan :z16

Duncan McRae

« Reply #26 on: 05/03/2020 at 20:16 »
Thanks Mike.
I enjoyed watching that clip.

Duncan

Terry Coging

« Reply #27 on: 08/03/2020 at 15:09 »
A very enjoyable clip with Jack Hargreaves - thanks Mike..
I have been pondering the question of who I would most like to fish with. There are three answers really.
The first has to be the late Bill Tagg who taught me to tie flies and who was the first president of our fishing club.  He is probably not known outside of Staffordshire or Derbyshire but down here he was Isaac Walton himself. Built lovely cane rods in his shed. He made all his own tools, planing formers, kiln and all the stuff for fly tying. He also wrote a nice little black book on the art of fly dressing.  My second choice would be the late Col Sir Allan Gilmore.  A man of stature who I admired dearly for his modesty and simple ways.  He proved to me that a wee double stoats tail would outfish the bigger flies on his beat of the Cassley, even with a bit of spate on.  Golden days in his boat on the Furalach would be a dream come true.
And the third but by no means last - any forum member that has 'loch style' embedded in their DNA - especially Hamish with the dapper.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #28 on: 08/03/2020 at 21:34 »
still April Vokey, :z12 Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #29 on: 08/03/2020 at 21:56 »
A day with Easgach would be priceless.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com