Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan McRae

Re: River Don 2020
« Reply #45 on: 02/07/2020 at 12:41 »
Some great looking fish there Sandy.
Don't think i've seen the trout in better condition than they are this season.

Duncan

Duncan McRae

« Reply #46 on: 04/07/2020 at 19:09 »
Cracking trout pictured on the Kintore FB page.
A real whopper!

Duncan

Jamie Rennie

« Reply #47 on: 06/07/2020 at 10:37 »
It was a real fight with that one! Caught it on a Alexandria.  I’ve been following the posts on the site for a long time but never joined.  The information I’ve read over the past has been a god send. 

Duncan McRae

« Reply #48 on: 06/07/2020 at 13:13 »
Well done Jamie,you'll remember that fish for a long time :z16

I was chasing seatrout the other week, upstream of the golf club and there were some huge trout feeding at dusk.Regretted not having my trout tackle with me.

Duncan

Dave Robb

« Reply #49 on: 06/07/2020 at 17:53 »
I see there was a Brownie of over 8lb caught last week as well, Upper Fintray.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #50 on: 07/07/2020 at 12:54 »
I see there was a Brownie of over 8lb caught last week as well, Upper Fintray.

Saw a picture on the ADAA site.That really is some trout!!
It looks to have a fair Kype on it suggesting cock fish but it's difficult to tell from the photo.

Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #51 on: 09/07/2020 at 11:49 »
So after chasing a particular fish for 3 weeks and having been beaten up by a few of these big browns that are about at the moment. I finally got one to the net last night.

A new PB for me for the river. Dry sedge again.  I had to put the fish on the bank to unhook it as my net was too small, but it highlighted the size of the fins, especially the adipose , which was massive and the tail was almost 6” across

So I was well pleased as you can imagine. Half an hour prior to this one I had a fresh salmon rise for the fly, it was a thumping fish too and I thought I’d hooked a monster brown until it jumped.  My net was too small for it despite being a 20” pan so I tried to beach it, it didn’t like that and hinges away snapping my tippet but it was a Bonny metallic lilac fish so very fresh. I had thought that was the fish I was after as it was in the same lie, but the brownie started feeding less than 5 mins after I hooked the salmon.
2 otters had moved through the spot too just before the rise started.

So a great night, but the big fish are hard to photograph when you are on your own.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #52 on: 09/07/2020 at 12:18 »
Maybe your ghillie should have hung around and helped with the net and photos .... but I was busy downstream catching trout that didn't fill the net to the same level as yours  :z4  :z4  :z4

Twas a great evening :z16

Duncan McRae

« Reply #53 on: 09/07/2020 at 13:49 »
Cracking trout Sandy.
Looks like a cock fish from the photos.What do you think?

Duncan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #54 on: 09/07/2020 at 16:45 »
Belting fish Sandy, well done :z16

Eddie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #55 on: 09/07/2020 at 17:01 »
Definitely a cock fish Duncan
Damn sharp teeth too. I was just relived to finally get one to the net. I’ve been beaten up properly by the last 5 big boys I’ve hooked. But this time the gods decided I needed a break  :z14

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #56 on: 10/07/2020 at 08:57 »
Round 2 for the week last night.

The window for the rise was a bit shorter for some reason, but still a good number of nice fish rising for the sedges. A lot less olives on the water last night and i wonder if thats why the window was smaller.

Reality calls after Wednesday....... :z4 took the same fly as the Salmon the night before, from a similar looking rise, so you can never tell :z4

with a few to choose from and missing the first two takes, by being too quick to tighten, i eventually latched into this guy which put up a good show.

Been in the river a couple days longer than the one George had earlier in the evening, but quite a few fish in the river and the conditions are near ideal, so well worth a punt.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #57 on: 10/07/2020 at 11:21 »
I hear a fish ... where? ... it was about there ... cast ... bang!  :z12

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #58 on: 05/08/2020 at 21:45 »
Been tricky the last couple of weeks.

After trying early mornings and coming up with a few fish to the nymph and trying some evenings with similar results to the dry I have only managed one good one of late.

However last week we tried an afternoon with the coloured water, the plan was streamers which Colin put to good effect with this cracking fish

However I noticed quite a few BWOs hatching and some good fish rising despite the water colour . So this afternoon I tried again...... however today it was flying ants that got them looking up

A size 18 APT seemed to be the job, Some of the better  Ones turned out to be silver surprise risers again

Good fun on size 18 dries  :z16
So fairly tough going but a few decent rewards for watching the water closely.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #59 on: 05/08/2020 at 22:35 »
Great stuff Sandy  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com