Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Don 2020
« on: 04/02/2020 at 19:05 »
The Don Salmon season opens on February 11th and the march to celebrate the river takes place on the first Saturday of the season, so this year it is on February 15th.

The event is open to all who would like to attend and Inverurie Angling Association hopes that a good number of anglers, guests and public will be there to enjoy the event.

As usual, everybody will gather at the Kintore Arms Hotel in Inverurie from 8.45am for tea/coffee/biscuits and then the March To The River will commence at 9.30am.

The event will follow the traditional format, with Piper Paul Malley leading the march down to the river bank below the Don Bridge, IAA President Steve Corsar will say a few words, followed by any trophy presentations, then the blessing of the river by Minister Rhona Cathart and the first cast by Provost Bill Howatson.

The event is sponsored by Glen Garioch Distillery, who will offer a dram of their excellent whisky and there will also be soft drinks and nibbles available.

Jim Eddie

Re: March To The River Don 2020
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/2020 at 19:21 »
Staying in Cullen that weekend Mike so won't make it

:z18
Jim

Mike Barrio

Re: March To The River Don 2020
« Reply #2 on: 04/02/2020 at 20:20 »
Staying in Cullen that weekend Mike so won't make it

:z18
Jim

Enjoy  :z12

Duncan McRae

Re: River Don 2020
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2020 at 20:30 »
Picked up my season permit today and with it a smashing new cap courtesy of Mike.
Thanks for your generosity Mike.

Think this is going to be my lucky cap on the Don this year but nothing doing on the Ythan this afternoon.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 05/03/2020 at 14:13 »
Thanks Duncan, cracking photo :z16

Fingers crossed that mine brings me luck on the Don too  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Duncan McRae

« Reply #5 on: 07/03/2020 at 09:21 »
Managed a couple of after work sessions this week but nothing doing apart from one small kelt.
Felt great to get going again.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 15/03/2020 at 12:00 »
Cracking opening day for the trout season for anybody that is out on the river :z16

Edit : I may have spoken too soon  :z4  :z4  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 15/03/2020 at 15:35 »
Not too bad a day, if you could find some shelter.
Water temp still just 6 degrees but nice and clear and a few LDO's around but not enough to get the devils looking up.

We puddled around with some nymphs through various runs and picked up a few fish, nothing of note but pretty early season fish.

Colin got off the mark as well, so the monkey is away and back in the closet.

So no dry fly action, in fact we saw no rising fish, but at 6degree water temp i'm not surprised, however the flies are starting and if the water stays in the same shape there should be a plenty fish for folk to go and have  a shot at.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 15/03/2020 at 16:08 »
Great stuff  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 17/03/2020 at 16:47 »
After a blank during yesterdays couple of hours, i managed to sneak another couple of hours this afternoon.
Again dodging the wind and today the water was carrying a little colour, but my luck was in and after some serious searching through some likely spots, i did manage to drop a fly on one of their noses.
Didn't see any flies, but i was out later today 2-4. A bit better size this time too, put up quite a scrap and was in pretty good nick for march.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2020 at 15:37 »
Water temp is still running 6 degrees C and it feels damn cold when you are out in it.
On a positive note i saw a lot more flies today, with sporadic bursts of LDO's and the odd march brown from lunchtime right through till 3 o clock. Worked the nymph through plenty good looking runs and had just the one touch

In some areas, the flies, come 2 o'clock, were popping up every 10mins or so in small numbers of 5 or 6 drifting past me, this even meant a fish or two started rising and those were the first i have seen all week.
I had no luck trying the dry, but as i knew where they were i ran the nymph over them and they were quite obliging.

So the best day of the week for me so far, even if the conditions havent changed much, it was nice to see a few rising fish.
Nothing significant, but bonny fish in reasonable condition, water was clear enough to start trying some underwater stuff too, fish had other ideas :z7

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 20/03/2020 at 16:00 »
Great stuff Sandy  :z16

Dave Robb

« Reply #12 on: 20/03/2020 at 16:36 »
My April / May plans have taken a big hit with the kids now being out of school   :cry

Other than weekend days, I’m going to probably have to wait for summer evenings.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 22/03/2020 at 16:10 »
Not technically the Don today, but fancied a wander up the Ury with some lightweight gear.
So i took my new 2wt out for a few casts and to try some lines and see what it likes.

The wind wasnt quite as troublesome as on the main river, but it was still challenging in places, however with a wee weighted nymph i managed to winkle out the odd fish, decent sizes for the little river too.

a lot of fun with the lightweight rod, even a 16"r puts a huge bend in it

But its a bonny wee river and somewhere people should explore a good bit more, it can be surprising where the fish can be found
And today it was 7 degrees, so a touch warmer than the main river too.

And they were in pretty good condition too. even if the light wasnt great at times

Sandy

Duncan McRae

« Reply #14 on: 22/03/2020 at 19:31 »
Bonny trout Sandy.
The Ury is practically unfished these days but it used to be very popular when I was a kid.
Bet there are some big trout lurking in the deep,slow moving pools.

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com