Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Re: River Don 2020
« Reply #15 on: 22/03/2020 at 22:58 »
Good stuff Sandy, Ury has some excellent fishing and some fantastic water, hogweed central later on though and really needs some serious work with a sprayer.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 25/03/2020 at 10:25 »
From Inverurie Angling Association Facebook page.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 25/03/2020 at 11:03 »
Sad but necessary in the current environment
Precedents need to be seen for them to work .

Dave Robb

« Reply #18 on: 25/03/2020 at 11:20 »
But yet you can go out for a run. 

I personally don’t see much difference between going for a walk / run on your own or fishing on your own.

Just saying.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 25/03/2020 at 15:45 »
Sad but necessary in the current environment
Precedents need to be seen for them to work .

Yes, we are all in this together  :z16

A time for rod building, fly tying, books & videos ............ just like the season hasn't opened yet.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #20 on: 25/03/2020 at 18:09 »
Yes, we are all in this together  :z16

A time for rod building, fly tying, books & videos ............ just like the season hasn't opened yet.

Also time for some gardening Mike.

With a bit of luck we will be back just in time for the best of the evening trout rises and the night time seatrout run.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 01/06/2020 at 15:46 »
Nobody been out on the Don yet :? ...... I haven't had a chance.

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #22 on: 01/06/2020 at 17:17 »
I was out early yesterday morning got a few on dry's and PTN but nothing of note. I did see a few salmon running up river

Fred Hay

« Reply #23 on: 02/06/2020 at 08:41 »
I've not been out but had over 60 brown trout to 2.75lb and 1 seatrout of 4lb reported from both the Burgh and Ardmurdo/Keithhall beats since the fishing re-opened on Friday so the warm weather appears to be helping although the water is desperately low and in need of a freshen up.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 02/06/2020 at 19:05 »
I've finally got round to sorting myself out and downloading the photos from the last few days.

Been an interesting few days, i started friday night after work to see what the evening rise might be like.
It wasn't bad with with fish feeding on Olive upright spinners most of the evening until around 10pm

Some nice ones in amongst them, but all readily rising for the fly
after 10 they switched to chasing sedges and wanted it twitching. Still struggling with the camera settings in the dark.

Saturday morning i went out early to see what like, not much on the top, but plenty to the nymph through fast water.
River looking lovely with ranunculus

Lots of good size fish up to a good size, but none of the special ones.

Sunday night, was similar to friday, although with a suggestion from a mate, the camera issue could well be sorted

Yesterday i fished a new beat for the first time, lots of pocket picking in the sun. a lot of fun with plenty fish up to a decent size
and some big rocks!

Some lovely runs and glides too, ranunculus looking lovely in the sunshine

Some little fat buggers too, lots of fun

Today was on a more familiar beat and it was a morning of nymphing up the runs and getting a few up to a reasonable size and then streamering back down to the car, which eventually paid off.

Lots of olive uprights still hatching during the day, but it seems the spinners are the preferred stage, just now

So now i'm Happy, sitting with a dram and sore shoulder from 2 solid days of nymphing and streamers, watching the rain come down, hoping there is enough to freshen things up again so in a week or so, the big ones start to chase the sedge on a night

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 02/06/2020 at 23:18 »
Great stuff Sandy ..... enjoy the dram  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 10/06/2020 at 08:40 »
Had a couple of nice fish last night and Monday night.

Monday’s rise lasted 20mins, last night it was an hour and 45min.

Started with big sedges and finished with micro sedges which makes things interesting in the dark.

My two best from last night both to a size 10 sedge emerger

No pics from Monday as I left my camera at home, but at least I’m getting the dark shots to work now.

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #27 on: 12/06/2020 at 17:51 »
 Whilst I was sitting having my tea last night, the look that I gave as I peered out of the window was that of "it feels right". So I quickly finished my scran, grabbed my gear and set off for Don Side.

Unfortunately there was a far stiffer downstream breeze than I was expecting and I had a funny feeling that the cold wind would keep them down and sulking.

I am pleased to announce that one (well two I also dropped one) great conditioned seatrout decided to play ball 😎

Please excuse the fish being out of the water and in the grass. As some of you know I currently have a fractured knee and when couple with a high bank I had little option but to lift her up onto the bank in the net. Suffice to say it swam back strongly regardless.

:z18

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 13/06/2020 at 12:04 »
Nice fish Steven :z16

We've seen a few this week but not managed to land one yet, been smashed up a couple of times so either big browns or their sea going cousins being brutal towards a tweeked sedge.

There have been a few nice ones though last couple of evenings

Tiny dimples which looked like minnows messing about turned out to be a pod of decent fish and one became 3 all to a small sedge merger, i reckon they were taking hatching pupa and only just touching the surface with a tip of the tail or dorsal.

Lots and lots of fly variety both on an evening and during the day, with Yellow mays, Iron blues, small dark olives, caenis, large green duns and as of yesterday Blue winged olives hatching most of the day. Loads of different sized spinners (but all orange) on a night mixed with sedges of all sizes from great big 6's down to size 20's, so finding the right one depends where you are.
Plenty other nice fish but no monsters yet, hoping the water is fishable tonight, we shall see........

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 13/06/2020 at 12:42 »
They wouldn't take just any fly though ...... as I found out  :z4  :z4  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com