Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Neil Ewing

Daviot area
« on: 31/01/2020 at 13:56 »
I've recently got access to a caravan at Daviot and wondering about wild trout fishing in the area.  Either burns, Rivers or lochs from the shore. I'm familiar with the Spey but as Upper Findhorn and Upper Nairn are close by does anyone know if its possible to get a trout permit for them? Lochindorb is around half an hour away but seems to be a shadow of its former self going by the internet and the last time I fished there in the 1980's.
There are a few lochs down towards Whitebridge on the south side of Loch Ness but again information patchy. Is Loch Morlich worth a go?
Any advice appreciated
thanks Neil

James Laraway

Re: Daviot area
« Reply #1 on: 31/01/2020 at 16:51 »
don't bother with the Nairn for trout - as the only ones there seem to be sea trout ( I think because the in-river feeding is so poor...or so I have heard it say)

The Findhorn you wont really find trout fishing as its really a 'salmon river'. There are trout but you'd probably not want to pay for a salmon permit !

Like you say there are  quite  a few lochs down the whitebridge road - but ive only fished a couple of them. Knockie being one.

I like Loch Tarff and its got char in it too.

Loch Ruthven is good - but is boat fishing only

plently of lochs to have a go at  :z16

Mike Barrio

Re: Daviot area
« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2020 at 13:48 »
Just realised that you mean Daviot Inverness and not Daviot Inverurie  :X1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com