Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tenkara
« on: 26/01/2020 at 09:29 »
Has anyone had any positive experiences of using Tenkara kit on our local rivers?

I was walking along the upper Ythan at Gight last year, and one of the small pools was chock full of small (under 1lb) brown trout rising to the hatch in the afternoon sun.

Given the small width of the river there, and limited casting space, this environment seems perfect for a Tenkara outfit. I don't think there's much risk of catching a heavy fish that would challenge/damage the gear(!)

The main limitation I can see is the lack of tackle shops who stock the necessary equipment, and the relatively high initial cost of what could be an expensive attic-filler.

Hamish Young

Re: Tenkara
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2020 at 14:31 »
Not tried Tenkara, although I do have two new Tenkara rods amongst the many rods in my armoury of fishing sticks.
Be interesting to see if any forum regulars have tried it as a technique on Scottish waters  :z16

Duncan McRae

Re: Tenkara New
« Reply #2 on: 26/01/2020 at 22:20 »
Has anyone had any positive experiences of using Tenkara kit on our local rivers?

I was walking along the upper Ythan at Gight last year, and one of the small pools was chock full of small (under 1lb) brown trout rising to the hatch in the afternoon sun.

Given the small width of the river there, and limited casting space, this environment seems perfect for a Tenkara outfit. I don't think there's much risk of catching a heavy fish that would challenge/damage the gear(!)

The main limitation I can see is the lack of tackle shops who stock the necessary equipment, and the relatively high initial cost of what could be an expensive attic-filler.

Hi Andrew

Funnily enough,I was recently bemoaning the lack of big Ythan Brownies to a very knowledgeable local angler.
He told me that Gicht was the place to try for a big fish.For some reason they seem to congregate there.
Maybe best not to fish there too under gunned,you never know what you might hook  :wink

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com