Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Che

Ythan polluted
« on: 22/01/2008 at 07:35 »
Looks like the Ythan has been hit. According to the P&J it appears that the Diesel has been traced to a farm near Methlick.  :mad

stickleback

Re: Ythan polluted
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2008 at 18:17 »
What a shame.  Around 300 gallons - the place must have been reeking of it - I wonder how the owner didn't manage to notice it.  Aren't big fuel tanks supposed to be built on a concrete base within a 'dwarf' wall to prevent any spillages escaping into the environment ?  Here's hoping it doesn't do too much damage.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2008 at 21:44 »
walked the Ellon water today and could see no obvious signs of the spill.The water's running quite high so hopefully the diesel should be dispersed fairly quickly.
For this to happen at spawning time is just sickening.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 23/01/2008 at 10:15 »
Aren't big fuel tanks supposed to be built on a concrete base within a 'dwarf' wall to prevent any spillages escaping into the environment ? 

A "Bund" is what its called. My heating oil storage tank takes 300 gallons...no requirement for a bund on that.

The good thing is that diesel floats, much worse if it had been 300 gallons of water soluble sheep dip or summit. Also, with high flows hopefully the impact will be minor.  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 23/01/2008 at 10:17 »
Indeed, the higher water will hopefully minimise the impact. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what action SEPA take on this  :roll

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 23/01/2008 at 13:58 »
A "Bund" is what its called. My heating oil storage tank takes 300 gallons...no requirement for a bund on that.

Any newly installed oil or fuel tank has to be either double skinned or sited in a bund capable of holding 150% of the tank contents. That has been the law for the last 12 years or so. Even temporary fuel tanks used by contractors have to be double skinned. The problem is with the older fuel tanks that were installed before the rules changed. They are exempt at present and, if they rupture, the oil has to go where gravity takes it. :cry

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2008 at 15:54 »
My last house had a new heating oil tank installed 2 years ago, not double skinned and it stood on a breeze block platform, not more than 100 yards from a major Dee tributary..but then again, my landlord was shady!!..lol

Kev Danby

« Reply #8 on: 23/01/2008 at 16:29 »
The oil storage regulations 2006 can be found on the SEPA website.

Domestic Tanks over a certian size (2500L) should be bunded with the bund holding 110% of the tank contents. For industrial premises any tank container over 200L needs to be bunded there are timetables for replacing existing tanks. Can't remember if farms are exempt from this regulation they may be covered by other legislation.

http://www.sepa.org.uk/regulation/oilstorage2006/index.htm

Regardless of whether they comply with this regulation they are more likely to be liable under Control Activities Regulations or Water Framework Directive

http://www.sepa.org.uk/wfd/index.htm

Needless to say based on other prosecutions by SEPA dont expect a hefty fine.

sightbob

« Reply #9 on: 24/01/2008 at 17:02 »
i've just had central heating installed a couple of months ago, the tank holds 1350 litres is single skinned and not bunded as i'm not within 30 metres of any water course. that was checked by an oftec engineer before it was installed.
i trust this is within the law :shock
 :z18
brian

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com