Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Bluefin Tuna
« on: 06/01/2020 at 18:29 »
An 8ft Bluefin Tuna was washed up on the beach not far from where I live.
I think you would need more than 6lb nylon for that  :wink

https://www.buchanobserver.co.uk/news/gigantic-8ft-long-tuna-found-washed-up-on-scottish-beach-1-5070831

:z18

Jim

Derek Roxborough

Re: Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2020 at 20:21 »
One sold in Japan for £1.3million, that's how scarce they are, Derek Roxborough

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2020 at 20:49 »
They are becoming more common in UK waters, I think the rise in the sea temperature and the resurgence of the Herring shoals.

:z18

Jim

Darius Marek

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2020 at 12:26 »
One sold in Japan for £1.3million, that's how scarce they are, Derek Roxborough

That's insane. Who paid that much for it?

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 08/01/2020 at 17:35 »
I have a birthday coming up in  roughly 18 months that looks a lot like 50 - 'cos it will be 50  :shock - and it has to be said that going Tuna fishing in the Bay of Biscay was on my 'to do' list.
This rate I might as well consider going from Boddam  :z7
Catch one Tuna of reasonable proportions, sell for a fortune, retire with a 'modest' pension - nice  :z4
Back in the real world.....  :z10

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 08/01/2020 at 20:29 »
Used to see the Thorniers in the Bay when I was in the MN, we were slogging through a westerly gale and these 40 footers were working away , the ship I was on was about 12,000 tons, and we were making heavy weather in the Gale , The Pamir sailing ship was lost and a ship similar to the on I was on disappeared, but these boats were working away  :X1 Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 09/01/2020 at 20:54 »
I had to look up the loss of the Pamir in 1957 and the havoc wrecked by hurricane Carrie, interesting stuff.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 09/01/2020 at 21:29 »
there's a book about the damage, called the Serpents coil, but I don't remember the author, the Bosun on the ship I was on said He hadn't seen weather like it and he started in sailing ships, Taking slate from N.Wales, and bringing salt cod back, my cabin was on the Boat deck and it used to Bury in the seas, my Porthole leaked every time it went under, so I couldn't use my bunk, happy days, Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com