Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

"Ythan style" fly fishing
« on: 01/01/2020 at 16:13 »
Could someone please explain the rig setup for "Ythan style" estuary fly fishing? I use the phrase fly fishing loosely.

Putting 2 and 2 together to make 9, this seems to involve a fixed spool reel on a spinning rod, with an in-line Wye lead and then a streamer or "Ythan terror" on the dropper and the point. Presumably a terror fly is a traditional sea trout fly with a flying treble hook?

This video appears to be a (not great quality) demonstration of what I'm trying to achieve:

Thanks in advance!

James Laraway

Re: "Ythan style" fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: 01/01/2020 at 16:32 »
No trebled involved. An ythan terror us a fly more akin to a mackerel feather, single hook and cock feathers back to back for the wing. Really basic and easy to tie 😃

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 01/01/2020 at 16:33 »
Oh, and ice fished them on a fast sinking line in the estury so no need for a spinning rod...

Dave Robb

« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2020 at 11:02 »
I think the idea of using a spinning setup is to combat the wind as it can get pretty hairy out there.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2020 at 15:28 »
Many many MANY moons ago, I used to tie Terrors for Somers Tackle when it was still in Thistle Street and Jim Somers was the owner.

Smiths Tackle on King Street used to sell Terrors by the bucket load!!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2020 at 21:23 »
used to have some old Sea trout terrors they were tied up on a pennel style 3 hooker, easker1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com