Hamish Young

Re: Which Loch is this?
« Reply #2 on: 14/12/2019 at 13:27 »
Which loch :?

Loch Borralan would be my guess  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2019 at 15:06 »
Is it not a bit big for Borrolan, Hamish ? when I first Gillied for the Loch Maree Hotel 2 flies was used while dapping, but fell into disuse later that was in the late 70's, another rod is just a complication for me, but good luck Terry
Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 14/12/2019 at 15:13 »
Correct Hamish  :z16 
Over the hill to the left is Loch Urigill. Straight on is The Cam Loch and beyond that Assynt.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 16/12/2019 at 21:17 »
 :X1 seemed a lot smaller when I was there last, :X2 Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 16/12/2019 at 22:07 »
The back drop scenery is similar from Urigill but even more stunning.  For a road side Loch, Loch Borallan is surprisingly good, with the occasional big fish and the odd Char. The rocks can catch you out though, even way out from the bank. I used to fish it before the Hotel burnt down. I remember using a leaky old wooden boat to row across to the opposite bank and then walk over the (then) wild moor to fish Loch Urigill, which still remains one of my favourite Lochs.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 17/12/2019 at 19:18 »
I used to fish it in the 70's when the hotel was there just before it burnt, I used to fish the burn right down to the road , Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 18/12/2019 at 10:29 »
Derek - we may have waved at each other - I used to camp by that Burn in the 70's.  I could not afford hotels in those days. My Labrador dog, Bonny, refused to eat trout on the forth day  :z8.  The Burn was stuffed with fish.  In fact I fished it this year when blown off of Urigill. Still plenty of fish there. Can't wait to get back up there in late April. A bit earlier than usual and just hoping that the Loch's have woken up by then.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 18/12/2019 at 19:26 »
I used to watch the Otter in the burn, gave me a shock one day,watch the snow for your april visit, some of the lower lochs fish early but they are forcasting a cold winter this season so the lochs may be slow to pick up, but that's fishing for you
Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com