Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Terry Coging

Hooks for dapping flies?
« on: December 10, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »
I have favoured low water salmon hooks in the past but a friend has introduced me to the lighter Partridge Sedge pattern PH-K12.
A bit lighter than the Partridge  L/W N type or even the Kamasan B180.
What do others think? (this has got to be one for Hamish).

Hamish Young

Re: Hooks for dapping flies?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 17:54:06 PM »
I have yet to try those hooks for dapping flies, the Partridge Bomber hooks I have used (CS42/R Bomber Dry) and they have the two key properties I look for in hooks for dapping flies.... good strength matched to light weight. Also worth noting that I very infrequently tie dapping flies below a #10 (Salmon) size, so reasonable that any hook with the two qualities mentioned will be just tickity boo  :z16

H
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »
Have been using plastic tubes for the dap with small trebles as I find I get a lot less drowning of the fly. With the windy weather we now seam to get dapping my make more of a come back.
Bob.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 16:48:49 PM »
I used to dress on tubes fished with trebles, but don't bother any more - don't like trying to get trebles out of troots.
Or Sea Trout.... or Salmon any longer.

Mind you, might try a light single hook as an experiment with some tubes later this season. Maybe.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk