Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Hooks for dapping flies?
« on: 10/12/2019 at 11:55 »
I have favoured low water salmon hooks in the past but a friend has introduced me to the lighter Partridge Sedge pattern PH-K12.
A bit lighter than the Partridge  L/W N type or even the Kamasan B180.
What do others think? (this has got to be one for Hamish).

Hamish Young

Re: Hooks for dapping flies?
« Reply #1 on: 10/12/2019 at 17:54 »
I have yet to try those hooks for dapping flies, the Partridge Bomber hooks I have used (CS42/R Bomber Dry) and they have the two key properties I look for in hooks for dapping flies.... good strength matched to light weight. Also worth noting that I very infrequently tie dapping flies below a #10 (Salmon) size, so reasonable that any hook with the two qualities mentioned will be just tickity boo  :z16

H

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: 11/06/2020 at 09:18 »
Have been using plastic tubes for the dap with small trebles as I find I get a lot less drowning of the fly. With the windy weather we now seam to get dapping my make more of a come back.
Bob.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2020 at 16:48 »
I used to dress on tubes fished with trebles, but don't bother any more - don't like trying to get trebles out of troots.
Or Sea Trout.... or Salmon any longer.

Mind you, might try a light single hook as an experiment with some tubes later this season. Maybe.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com