Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Corgarff trout fishing
« on: 03/12/2019 at 10:43 »
Just wondered if anyone had fished the stretch between cock bridge and the Ballater road bridge. I had a walk up there on Sunday and there is some braw looking water. Am sure day tickets were available years ago at the Inn at Corgarff but not sure now a days.
Am guessing the Ballater road bridge across the Don is the start of Tornashean fishing  :z8 :z8

Mike Barrio

Re: Corgarff trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: 03/12/2019 at 11:49 »
Nice photos  :z16

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #2 on: 03/12/2019 at 12:10 »
This is looking towards the lecht from  halfway along the old Military road that runs between cock bridge and the road to Ballater.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 03/12/2019 at 16:58 »
It's possible I might have trodden all those banks in the pursuit of trout..... 22 years ago would be the last serious trip..... but I know it reasonably well  :z16

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #4 on: 03/12/2019 at 19:17 »
It's possible I might have trodden all those banks in the pursuit of trout..... 22 years ago would be the last serious trip..... but I know it reasonably well  :z16

Am thinking it would  fish good in April/May before the bigger trout drop back down stream and with some decent snow melt to keep it at a decent level. The feeder burns were running with a decent flow on Sunday. Not a stretch to fish in low water I would think   :z8 :z8.

I must make the effort and get back up next spring  :z18 :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 04/12/2019 at 11:08 »
I've had some decent fish up there, albeit not consistently.
As always with the upper Don the weather is the catalyst for sport, especially on dry fly, but you want a few days of half-way settled conditions for it to be more than just a slog working your way through holding water with nymphs and streamers. The upside is there's lots of water to cover, the downside is that the fishing can be 'thin'.
The section below  where the Corriehoul Burn joins the Don (Look for the long pool below the graveyard at Goodbrand & Ross in particular) is usually productive and unless much has changed the next mile or so below is all good water. Certainly where I would choose to  start any upper river exploration in the early season.

H

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #6 on: 04/12/2019 at 16:03 »
It’s a fair old pull up that hill from the old road, you did well.. locally know as the ladder!   The hillocks over the river is a great place for blackcock.

As far as the fishing goes, I don’t think either estate let’s the fishing anymore

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #7 on: 04/12/2019 at 20:47 »
It’s a fair old pull up that hill from the old road, you did well.. locally know as the ladder!   The hillocks over the river is a great place for blackcock.

As far as the fishing goes, I don’t think either estate let’s the fishing anymore

I walked from the Ballater road side up the old military and over Carn Leac Saighdeir and down the other side through the trees back on to the old road turned right back along over the 3 old bridges. A cracking walk in cold frosty conditions on mostly good 4x4 track.

Is it Allargue that has the Grouse shooting and fishing I seen the shooting butts and was google searching to see which estate it was.
I noticed last year Tornashean had been removed from fish pal. so possibly no day tickets anywhere above Cottown on the upper stretches   :z8 :z8.

A will put buying a 8ft 4wt on hold for now   :z10 :z6 :z10

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #8 on: 13/12/2019 at 08:42 »
It’s still a fair climb up the road onto the top! 
Not quite allargue, but is the last drive on candacraigs moor, which is leased by bs who has avoichie, but has no involvement with the cc fishing, that’s retained & as I said I believe unavailable for tickets.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #9 on: 31/12/2019 at 13:45 »
A couple more pics looking from either side of the bridge at the turn off on the Ballater road.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com