Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Vintage dapping rod
« on: 18/11/2019 at 10:44 »
I have purchased a Richard Walker prototype dapping rod.  'Walkers Wonderfull Wand' probably built in the early 70's. It's a 14' 10" hollow glass with snakes and sliding reel fittings. There is provenance that it was RW's own rod. The odd thing is (and why I bought it)  that it is rated for lines #4 to #6?  I am guessing that this rod was not just for dapping and that maybe RW was trying to do what I am doing with the 'Wafting' project. No shame in being 50 years behind RW  :z14
Does anyone have any info? - can't find much on the web.

Mike Barrio

Re: Vintage dapping rod
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/2019 at 10:58 »
Sounds like an interesting rod :z16

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2019 at 20:35 »
Be interested in seeing that rod at some point Terry  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2019 at 21:15 »
Hamish - It will be displayed at the bffi show along with my prototypes and latest effort.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 20/11/2019 at 08:29 »
I may be there to see it Terry, time will tell  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 20/11/2019 at 20:28 »
we had walkers dapping rods at the Loch Maree hotel all 14 ft, I wonder where they went? Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 20/11/2019 at 21:28 »
Derek - were they glass fibre? I've been doing some research and RW did say that a carbon fibre rod would be less tiring but I cannot find any evidence that he had one built. I would not like to fish with his glass 'Wonderful Wand' all day - it is heavy and floppy. Probably why it never took off on the reservoirs.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 21/11/2019 at 17:30 »
I believe I saw one of the B&W dapping rods somewhere recently. Will give it some thought and see if I can recall where.

H

Terry Coging

« Reply #8 on: 21/11/2019 at 20:55 »
I bought a home made 15' carbon d/h salmon rod last year at the Chatsworth Country Fair. It was on the Help for Hero's stall. My hip was killing me and I needed a walking stick so I asked how much? A tenner alright?  (it was very crudely built) So I gave him 20. In it's bag it was quite a stout walking staff and got me through the day. When I got home I took a closer look at it and found some dapping floss stuck in one of the guides.  It would have taken a five pounder to put the slightest bend in that rod.  Must have been a handful to hold up in the wind.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 22/11/2019 at 14:55 »
remembering back I would say these were CF, as there were replacing some Shakespear telescopics, I remember taking a client out and he insisted on using his Hardy 15 ft salmon Rod all day, for dapping, Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com