Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Kerr

Stickman Rods
« on: 11/11/2019 at 18:00 »
I'm thinking about buying a Stickaman T6 rod (9ft 6 weight).  Its for coastal sea trout in Orkney.  Six weight is fine we're generally not chucking big salt water flies to the horizon.  But mid-range accuracy is important. 

I'm interested to know if any one has tried this rod (T6), or Stickman rods in general.  Not many reviews out there but what I see is positive.

I'm nervous about buying blind, but I'm getting bored of big brand hype.

Any comments appreciated.

SandyK

Sandy Nelson

Re: Stickman Rods
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2019 at 15:09 »
Hi Sandy

I’ve had a Stickman P5 for several years and I can tell you it’s a lovely smooth accurate casting rod. I got the blank from Akos when I was looking for a carbon blank for me to build some rods on. He builds a lovely rod and you would not be disappointed.
Carl at Epic started a carbon range and that’s why I didn’t go any further with stickman blanks, as I’m already affiliated with Epic for the glass rods. The Epic 6 wt carbon would also tick your boxes and make you very happy, so we’ll worth a look 👍 you can get them as kits too and have a go at building a top end rod for yourself. It’s easy enough if you can tie a nice fly 👍
The glass 686 is also a lovely accurate light saltwater rod for something a bit different away from the mainstream.
Best wishes

Sandy

Sandy Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2019 at 16:43 »
Sandy

Cheers I appreciate the reply. 

I was looking at your Epic glass builds - they are beautiful.  I will seriously consider glass for my next dry fly rod.  Mind you it's been 30 yrs  since I cast a glass fly rod!  Would definitely like a try before taking the plunge..

In the sea its the sheer volume of casting over a day means the weight really begins to count. My wrist and shoulder get knackered as it is.   Stalking fish on a river its not such a deal breaker.  This is partly why I want to get rid of the 9'6" Greys I'm currently using which is so tip heavy. 

I use a Scott Radian 9' 5# wading on the loch - this has been a revelation. I cant imagine going back to longer rod.  But I'm keen to look for other brands.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2019 at 18:32 »
I would certainly second the thumbs up on Stickman rods  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2019 at 19:17 »
Hi Sandy

I loved the radian too, one of the best 5wts ever made, Epic 590c is an equal to it, the 690 is it’s big brother, so would be pretty similar in style to the Radian.

I have Demo 370, 476 and 580 glass rods which I send out to people who want to try them out. I don’t have a 6wt demo though, I’m afraid.  So if you ever fancy trying one just drop me an email and we can sort that out 👍
I struggle to see past the 476 for dryfly work.

Cheers

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com