Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cameron deBoth

Effects of Salmon Farming - Film
« on: 31/10/2019 at 14:30 »
I havent had a chance to watch it yet as Im at work but think it should be interesting and eyeopening.

Mike Barrio

Re: Effects of Salmon Farming - Film
« Reply #1 on: 31/10/2019 at 15:14 »
Sorry ...... not impressed with the film  :z6

Only watched about a third of it and that was enough.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #2 on: 31/10/2019 at 15:35 »
Sorry ...... not impressed with the film  :z6

Only watched about a third of it and that was enough.

Ahhhh as said I havent watched it yet. I expected it to be a good watch sorry.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 31/10/2019 at 19:06 »
No need for a 'sorry' Cameron  :z4

Thing is, it should have simply been like preaching to the converted when I started to watch this ..... but I found the film was having the opposite effect on me.

Cheers
Mike

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: 31/10/2019 at 20:52 »
That is some set up they have. No shortage of money by the look of it.
Bob.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2019 at 21:46 »
strange mix of restocking and  commercial salmon hatchery,so the restocking under the Golden gate at the Battery, and then the killing and processing, weird , I will try and go when I next visit my son, looked like the pelicans were having a ball,
Derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 01/11/2019 at 15:52 »
I've 'fast forwarded' through it.

not very informative it has to be said and there is probably nothing new in the film.

The first hour is basically people moaning that salmon hatcheries are killing off the stocks of wild fish in the US, and they why didn't they just let the wild salmon ( and steelhead) do the stock recovery on their own. I think that is fine if you want to be banned from fishing your rivers for an indefiniate period to 'give nature a chance' ( which may or may not work!)

What you cannot tell of course is that is there was not hatchery stocking would the wild salmon numbers have declined anyway ? I suspect they would have....

There was then a very small bit about fish farming in Norway by Mr Frodin ( at about 55 mins)  - which was interesting for about 2 mins. It was him swimming to cages to film what really goes on under the water. Once again no surprises - lots of gammy  looking fish

Just struck me as a film paid for my the uber wealthy owner of Patagonia so he could complain about hatchery fish... :z8. All a bit too US based to be that relevant here I thought...

Just look at Iceland and the examples there. They seem to be able to use hatcheries and ranching to produce cracking runs of fish in rivers that would be dead otherwise....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com