Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Daniel Rees

Rod advice for ICSF Salmon Distance 55g event
« on: October 28, 2019, 18:47:53 PM »
Hi I'm looking for some advice on a suitable rod for the overhead salmon distance event. I'm only just dipping my toes into this event and have a lot to learn regarding the technique of casting a DH overhead. Therefore I'd like to practice with something that's not going to hurt the bank balance too hard, while still be suitable.

A friend who is much better at this than myself recommended an older version of the Daiwa Wilderness 15' (navy blue blank??) been looking on eBay but am yet to find one. Any recommendations on other rods or even blanks that would have similar characteristics to the Daiwa?

Regards
Dan

Hamish Young

Re: Rod advice for ICSF Salmon Distance 55g event
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 19:45:17 PM »
That Wilderness is a good shout, powerful blank - the model number was WN150113 rated for a #11
Other possible options secondhand:

Daiwa Altmor Orator
Daiwa Signature
Bob Church Crawford Little
Bruce & Walker Norway
...... and pretty much anything that's 11 or (better still) 11/12 rated  :z16

H
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Daniel Rees

Re: Rod advice for ICSF Salmon Distance 55g event
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:02:53 AM »
Thank you Hamish, that's exactly the info I was looking for  :z16

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum