Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Malcolm Greenhalgh
« on: 26/10/2019 at 08:42 »
I read this morning that prolific angling and nature writer Malcolm Greenhalgh passed away yesterday (on the 25th),  there were complications following a heart valve operation. He was 73 years old.

Malcolm Greenhalgh, or more correctly Dr Malcolm Greenhalgh, became a freelance writer, speaker and guest lecturer in the mid-80's  concentrating mainly on the two things that interested him the most, nature and fly fishing..... although he also wrote about his other interests including growing fruit and vegetables in Northern England.

He wrote  or co-wrote a great many books; somewhere I think my Dad has my copy of Lake, Loch and Reservoir Trout Fishing given to me in the later 80's. I suppose I started following Malcolms columns and books then, he started writing about the time I started reading more about fishing and 'seriously' discovering my passion for fly fishing.

He became a regular contributor to Fly Fishing & Fly Tying magazine but I confess there was a pecking order whenever I picked up that magazine, I always read his pieces after reading Magnus's tackle reviews.

Malcolm was a Vice-President of the Wild Trout Trust and a great ambassador for fly fishing, he will be greatly missed.

H

Mike Barrio

Re: Malcolm Greenhalgh
« Reply #1 on: 26/10/2019 at 10:37 »
I am very sorry to hear that Hamish.
My thoughts are with his family and many friends.

Best wishes
Mike

Euan Innes

Re: Malcolm Greenhalgh
« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2019 at 19:46 »
Thanks for that Hamish, I was unaware as I have been away again.
I had the honour of knowing Malcolm when I worked in the Banchory shop all those years ago. He used to fish Ballogie two or three times a year and became "quite good" at taking fish from there.  :z4
He was a very approachable man, knowledgeable and keen to share. His articles I have read and re-read for a very long time.
2019 has indeed been a shit year.

Euan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com