Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Robb

A bit too close for comfort
« on: 21/10/2019 at 19:49 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-50127197/peak-district-anglers-dangerously-close-to-huge-plug-hole

I seriously can’t believe the risk they are taking in this video. 

I’m sure they felt in control but still, just too risky for me.

Terry Coging

Re: A bit too close for comfort
« Reply #1 on: 22/10/2019 at 09:52 »
Not as dangerous as it looks but I keep well away. It is a fish holding area and it temps angler to get to close. I'll be there on Saturday for the club blind pairs contest.

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 22/10/2019 at 18:28 »
Checked to see if they were members f our club.  Luckily not but they have had H&S all over them.  Quite rightly too.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 23/10/2019 at 09:17 »
I still get a little nervous when tubing over water that I know is deep, always gets the heart going a little bit. I suppose being in a tube you get more of a 'feel' for the water forces so that chaps doing it were probably quite aware that they were safe - but it doesn't look very good from an H&S point of view.

I would guess that going near something like that in a boat would be more dangerous - but those who boat fish could probably comment better than me.

Im amazed the reservoir doesn't have the 'plug hole' cordoned off give that anglers will always be tempted go get as close as possible to a 'fishy' area.

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 23/10/2019 at 21:48 »
Hard to believe it but I have fished around that area when the 'plug hole' was about 40' up  in the air! It was when the drought exposed the flooded village and roads. It was a sinister experience drifting among the old buildings, wall and fences.  I was so moved that I wrote a poem about it. I'll try to find it.
It will be interesting to see if any action has been taken when I am there on Saturday. In this instance I don't think that they were in any danger but the unexpected can happen when on the water.  If it is allowable to get that close , one day an inexperienced angler will try it in rough conditions. Conditions can change very quickly here. Last year a lovely day changed to a hail storm in minutes.   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com