Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Books ..........
« on: 15/10/2019 at 23:02 »
Must be the end of the trout season ..... I'm reading books again  :z12

Euan Innes

Re: Books ..........
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2019 at 15:09 »
I re-discovered the joy of a actual book instead of a Kindle earlier this year when my works mobile started hurting my eyes. I got reading glasses and now carry one or two books  on all my travel.
I have so far read three Levison Woods, one on a white harmonica player in Harlem called Mr Satans Apprentice, and I am halfway through the history of the Blues and it's association with the Devil. Hamish gave me a book on the Spitfire to start soon and the new Jack Reacher is out in a month or so.
All year thing for me Mike, but I know where you are coming from  :z4
Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2019 at 17:33 »
Downstairs reading at the moment ( with the TV thing on in the background ) is a revisit of 'What Trout Want' by Bob Wyatt, as judging by this season - I think I may have forgotten everything that I learnt from this book last time  :z4

........ and for pillow time, I've just started 'Poacher's Pilgrimage' An Island Journey by Alastair McIntosh. Not as fishy as it sounds, more a 12 day walk through Lewis and Harris,  with lots of history, philosophy, humour and long Gaelic words  :z4

I need my glasses for most things nowadays Euan ..... either that, or I've developed some sort of Bokeh-itis  :z8

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2019 at 20:31 »
the war of the roses by Conn Igulden, The Orkninga Saga,and a few others including the Tsars Doctor, about the life of James Wylie, I love books , I have a Kindle fire but I hardly use it, Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2019 at 08:27 »
I go through phases of book reading, I am currently in a phase of reading avidly - usually two or more books on the go - particular favourites are the James Holland books on the second world war, bloody good read and some of my perceptions have been more than challenged by his excellent writing  :z16

H

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 17/10/2019 at 15:42 »
 The Tsars Doctor was written by Mary Mcgrigor, Wylie knew Napoleon, he  was with the tsar during the French retreat from Moscow he helped French and Russian alike , a very interesting read, for those of you who like Sci fi , read Earth Abides , by George R Stewart, if you like Roman stuff read Leopard in the snow by Wallace Breem, or The Trout by Frost and Brown,quite thought provoking
Derek Roxborough

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #6 on: 17/10/2019 at 17:06 »
Just finished two fishing books with well evidenced and  often diametrically opposed opinions; firstly “What trout want” by Bob Wyatt” as mentioned by Mike; secondly  “Fly fishing outside the box: emerging heresies” by Peter Hayes who is also attempting to curate the multitude of old / traditional flies held at the Flyfishers Club in London.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #7 on: 17/10/2019 at 21:52 »
 T.C.Kingsmill Moore "A Man May Fish", Henzell "art of Loch Fishing", Maclarens
" art of Seatrout fishing", all books that have made an impression on my fishing over the years, Derek Roxborough

Ben Crichton

« Reply #8 on: 03/01/2020 at 07:49 »
Got  2 from the wife for Christmas. A river runs through it (and other short stories) by Norman Mclean, because I love the film and have always wanted to read the book. And a book called Prospecting for trout by Tom Rosenbauer. Looks a good read!!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 05/01/2020 at 09:55 »
Rattled through the latest Rebus novel over the holidays, loved it.

Love reading as much as i can, give's me an excuse to head to bed early for some peace  :z4

Terry Coging

« Reply #10 on: 05/01/2020 at 11:26 »
Dapping by Robert H Boyle.  2007 Stackpole Books.
An Americans take on dapping. Well researched and written but not what I was looking for.
Can anyone point me to a book that comprehensively covers Loch and Lough style dapping?

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 05/01/2020 at 12:45 »
Can anyone point me to a book that comprehensively covers Loch and Lough style dapping?
I can, yes  :wink Well, I suppose yes.... the small book I consider to be one of the best works on the subject written by the man who mentored the man who taught me how to dap - so it has 'depth'.
I have had its spiritual successor in the planning stage for some time  :X2
H

Terry Coging

« Reply #12 on: 05/01/2020 at 15:12 »
I did suggest that you write a book a while ago Hamish  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #13 on: 05/01/2020 at 16:01 »
how about Charles Mclarens book? Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 05/01/2020 at 19:56 »
I did suggest that you write a book a while ago Hamish  :z16
Aye Terry, I've had a few kicks from folk - one day soon I may write a piece for a magazine, but I don't see a whole book coming from it unless I incorporated some other 'oddities' or styles of loch/lough fishing which don't get a huge amount of exposure these days...... hmmm.... idea looming  :z17

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com