Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

time to spare?
« on: 08/10/2019 at 20:24 »
the end of another season, should give you plenty time to get all the things done that would have got in the way during the season? or will it? time just goes nowhere these days, I may build another rod this winter, mainly because I quite like building them,last season wasn't that great for me with one thing and another and a couple of health problems , hopefully this will resolve itself before next season, I hope you all get your projects done , have a good off season :z12  Derek Roxborough

Mike Barrio

Re: time to spare?
« Reply #1 on: 08/10/2019 at 20:51 »
Best of health to you Derek ..... and looking forward to maybe seeing how the rod build goes .....  :z16

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 09/10/2019 at 00:02 »
Derek,

I hope that you enjoy your close season and get round to building a rod  :z16

I on the other hand will merely just be changing species and carrying on., 👍

There's always something for me to target with the flea and keeps me out of trouble (for the most part) 😎

Cheers,

Steven.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2019 at 14:11 »
Even though I don’t really have a closed season living here in South East Asia I am however tying salmon and trout flies for when I come home. I tie these with the same expectations as the guys at home for next season and even though like Steven I will still be fishing for other stuff I will still be tying for the traditional home seasons. I might even look at building a rod like Derek as it gives me something to do and something to look forward to when I come home. I have already collaborated with Sandy on an idea for a rod which he will build this winter and I look forward to seeing if this is a good idea or not. But in essence even over here remotely I still follow the seasons and the expectations and excitement of a new season. And if Sandy wants to share the idea of the new rod and the Build that may allow us to debate this build which is always a good thing as differing opinions and ideas will always keep us moving forward.

Eddie :z18

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2019 at 16:09 »
Yes, have a good and productive close season Derek. What rod will you be building?
There is no close season for rainbows down here in the Midlands. I'm boat fishing on Carsington tomorrow.  I also coarse fish and will be having a long w/e on the Herefordshire Wye after the Barbel, starting on Friday. On nice winter days it's Grayling on the rivers or rainbows on club waters. Wish I could still tie flies and build rods again but my thumbs are stiff pokers these days. Of course the Winter months are good for dreaming about the Highlands  :z18

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2019 at 19:38 »
thanks for the replies, given the weather I can fly  fish for pike, but the dark nights require me to do something constructive,I fancy a 9ft 2 wt  if I can get 4pc blanks or I might go back to building a cane set up. or I may build another Bow, but getting a decent piece of Yew in the UK is difficult, the possibilities are endless,I do teach Archery at the local leisure centre, I have been an archer as long as I have been an angler,product of a misspent child hood  :shock Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com