Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Simon Sinclair

"Millionaire's fishing"
« on: 24/09/2019 at 21:43 »
“Millionaire’s fishing” was the phrase the passing shepherd used to describe it when he saw me fishing two whole club lakes all to myself, stocked with hard fighting rainbows. There’s a third lake, too, a 26 acre boat-only lake with rainbows and browns up to 6lb. And ten miles of re-wilded river Wyre, with a good head of decent fish (I had a fifteen inch brownie last week and regularly catch them around the 10-12 inch mark) and a salmon/sea trout run. When you sign on for one of the mile-long beats in the morning, it’s yours all day. Although I rarely arrive at the clubhouse and don’t have the choice of the whole river to myself. Sometimes there’ll be one or two others out, but the older members usually just fish the lakes, so sometimes I’m greedy and fish two or three beats in a day. There’s also a Georgian club house with a well-stocked wine cellar, where you can stay in one of the rooms and have the housekeeper cook for you. Or just get a whisky or a beer from the trust bar and unwind by the log fire. So it certainly feels like millionaire’s fishing. But membership is around £20 a week for the choice of all that fishing, every day of the year. I used to pay that for a day on crowded, hard-fished commercial lakes. Sorry for the log-winded post, but this place is normally dead man’s shoes. However, there are a few memberships available this year. You can read more about it on the website at https://www.wyresdale-anglers.co.uk and there’s a nice feature on the club in September’s Trout and Salmon. Please PM me if you’d like to know more

Iain Stewart

Re: "Millionaire's fishing"
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2019 at 19:19 »
Sounds magic. Particularly the whisky and fireside discussions  :X2
One for a lads break Stevie, Will, Eds?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2019 at 12:18 »
IAIN,

I am in but it’s a long way for a couple of days fishing.

:X2

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2019 at 17:13 »
Like the clinker built boat. Hardly see any of them now.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com