Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Durness trip of a lifetime 😎
« on: 08/09/2019 at 21:22 »
Well folks,

I could wax lyrical about just how epic this trip was with one old friend iain Stewart (in bother senses) and one new friend Will Henry and I guess I will either write a full report once I stop shaking or I'll let iain Stewart do the duties but for now I just have to share this 😎 truly a Loch trout trout of a lifetime for me. I highly doubt that I will ever better it and I really don't mind 😎

:z18

Steven

Mike Barrio

Re: Durness trip of a lifetime 😎
« Reply #1 on: 08/09/2019 at 21:50 »
Great stuff Steven  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 08/09/2019 at 22:37 »
Ooohhh, ya hoo'er, what a fish.
Well played Steven.  :z14 :z14 :z14

Euan

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 09/09/2019 at 17:38 »
Well done Steven, that is truly the fish of a lifetime. Look forward to a full report from yourself or IAIN as I know you had a stonking day on a different limestone Loch the day before the leviathan appeared. Those lochs can be a test but in the right conditions can produce outstanding quality of trout.

Eddie :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 09/09/2019 at 18:34 »
That's a better well done Steven  :z16

Jim

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 13/09/2019 at 13:16 »
is anyone going to do a write up or not ?

Dying to find out some more details...

Iain Stewart

« Reply #6 on: 13/09/2019 at 16:31 »
Once I found my chalk and slate notes I tried to transfer my hieroglyphics into modern text.  :z4
Durness is amazing. We had strong South Westerly winds 25-35mph on the Thursday and were pleased with 15 buttery beauties between 3/4lb and 3lb to the boat. Traditional wet fly teams were the order of the day with hugry trout hammering the flies in the foamy waves.  Five fish each before the decision to head for shore as the waves were just cresting the beam of the boat under drogue.
Friday wind started in the SW and worked it’s way round to the North West. Again making casting and fishing difficult. Despite trying the full array of tactics none touched a fish all day. I made the call to swap lochs and we headed off. We arrived as light was just getting to the magical witching hour and set off down each side of the loch. Half way down the immortal shout from Steven of “Fish On” rang out above the wind. Shortly after composing myself from laughter. I asked is it decent? I got a mixture of expletives and I don’t know but it is big. I then saw a head and tail appear out the water like a picture in a moby dick book. Wading as fast as my short legs would take me I then began to make my way round the loch. I tried to text the Red Death Tour lads the news. Eds did a pretty good job of deciphering my predictive texts.  I saw Steven  net her and heard the celebration cry. I knew it was special. I didn’t know how special till I arrived out of breath beside him at the lochside. I am surprised none of you heard my neandethal cry of joy from Durness to be fair as it erupted from deep in my sole. The joy of all our faces was one to treasure. I dinna really think the gentlemanly handshake and pat on the shoulder could convey the absolute delight to have a mate land such a wonderful fish. We marvelled as she recovered and was released to swim again. We retired back to the camper at peace and had a
Few drinks to celebrate and talk it over, and naturally send the obvious check this oot photos to Abody. I have had the pleasure of fishing Durness with my friends for a number of years and it is more than just a fishing mecca, it is a place my fishing soul finds peace and I always find it hard to return home. This year she showed her kinder side and I will live long and happy with the awesome sight of one of the most magnificent fish I have ever had the pleasure to coo and ooh over.
I am tying a raft of flees for next season already as Mr Sinclair’s box took a battering. Sorry eds.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 13/09/2019 at 19:14 »
Once I found my chalk and slate notes I tried to transfer my hieroglyphics into modern text.  :z4
Durness is amazing. We had strong South Westerly winds 25-35mph on the Thursday and were pleased with 15 buttery beauties between 3/4lb and 3lb to the boat. Traditional wet fly teams were the order of the day with hugry trout hammering the flies in the foamy waves.  Five fish each before the decision to head for shore as the waves were just cresting the beam of the boat under drogue.
Friday wind started in the SW and worked it’s way round to the North West. Again making casting and fishing difficult. Despite trying the full array of tactics none touched a fish all day. I made the call to swap lochs and we headed off. We arrived as light was just getting to the magical witching hour and set off down each side of the loch. Half way down the immortal shout from Steven of “Fish On” rang out above the wind. Shortly after composing myself from laughter. I asked is it decent? I got a mixture of expletives and I don’t know but it is big. I then saw a head and tail appear out the water like a picture in a moby dick book. Wading as fast as my short legs would take me I then began to make my way round the loch. I tried to text the Red Death Tour lads the news. Eds did a pretty good job of deciphering my predictive texts.  I saw Steven  net her and heard the celebration cry. I knew it was special. I didn’t know how special till I arrived out of breath beside him at the lochside. I am surprised none of you heard my neandethal cry of joy from Durness to be fair as it erupted from deep in my sole. The joy of all our faces was one to treasure. I dinna really think the gentlemanly handshake and pat on the shoulder could convey the absolute delight to have a mate land such a wonderful fish. We marvelled as she recovered and was released to swim again. We retired back to the camper at peace and had a
Few drinks to celebrate and talk it over, and naturally send the obvious check this oot photos to Abody. I have had the pleasure of fishing Durness with my friends for a number of years and it is more than just a fishing mecca, it is a place my fishing soul finds peace and I always find it hard to return home. This year she showed her kinder side and I will live long and happy with the awesome sight of one of the most magnificent fish I have ever had the pleasure to coo and ooh over.
I am tying a raft of flees for next season already as Mr Sinclair’s box took a battering. Sorry eds.

There was a reason I left the report to yourself.  That pretty much sums up Durness for me. She can be a real bitch of a place but when she's on (and you know how to fish them) then there's nowhere else I'd rather be on this planet.

I was strongly considering another three days up north next week but I can't see me surpassing last week's trip so I think I'll leave her on a high note for this year and head West for ferox instead.

Fish on 😋

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 13/09/2019 at 20:23 »
if it's on it's fine but the last time we went we ended up moving elsewhere, it was rubbish,but I have been when it's on and it is sublime, but I don't think the Keoldale Sheep club has done it any favours, we got some decent fishing from Charles Marsham at Rispond, Derek Roxborough

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 14/09/2019 at 08:18 »
if it's on it's fine but the last time we went we ended up moving elsewhere, it was rubbish,but I have been when it's on and it is sublime, but I don't think the Keoldale Sheep club has done it any favours, we got

some decent fishing from Charles Marsham at Rispond, Derek Roxborough

Derek, as you say when it is on it is fine and another forum member was up there recently when it was not being cooperative. However when it is not on it is not rubbish it is merely harder and challenging. It is still a beautiful place to fish and still my favourite place, and I have fished all over the world in the last 50 years or so. It is not for everyone and that is fine by me as it will not get hammered which would be bad for such a fragile resource. I have fished when it is off and when it is on but with determination and diversity of tactics it has always been a pleasure. We are fortunate to have wild trout fisheries at home to cater for all tastes and levels of expectations and that is what makes Scotland and Durness especially so special to myself and the guys who go there regularly. I did communicate with another forum member who was up there recently and he was very disappointed with his fishing whilst he was there. As far as I am concerned that is one if the reasons that the Durness limestone lochs are so special in that you never know if it will be a bounty or a famine. Steven and IAIN and Will did d go to another Loch system on the way home near Altnaharra where the fishing was excellent and easy but all they spoke about was the quality of the trout in Durness. Again we are fortunate to have a diversity of fishing that can cater to various levels of expectations in our unique country and environment and I for one am extremely happy for this situation.

Eddie  :z18

Iain Stewart

« Reply #10 on: 14/09/2019 at 10:45 »
Derek, as you say when it is on it is fine and another forum member was up there recently when it was not being cooperative. However when it is not on it is not rubbish it is merely harder and challenging. It is still a beautiful place to fish and still my favourite place, and I have fished all over the world in the last 50 years or so. It is not for everyone and that is fine by me as it will not get hammered which would be bad for such a fragile resource. I have fished when it is off and when it is on but with determination and diversity of tactics it has always been a pleasure. We are fortunate to have wild trout fisheries at home to cater for all tastes and levels of expectations and that is what makes Scotland and Durness especially so special to myself and the guys who go there regularly. I did communicate with another forum member who was up there recently and he was very disappointed with his fishing whilst he was there. As far as I am concerned that is one if the reasons that the Durness limestone lochs are so special in that you never know if it will be a bounty or a famine. Steven and IAIN and Will did d go to another Loch system on the way home near Altnaharra where the fishing was excellent and easy but all they spoke about was the quality of the trout in Durness. Again we are fortunate to have a diversity of fishing that can cater to various levels of expectations in our unique country and environment and I for one am extremely happy for this situation.

Eddie  :z18

I 100% agree Eds. The surroundings are part of the glory. The fishing is hard and not for clumsy casters or beginners. Will for example had 2 trout for his three days the year before and I had 11 in one evening. His fishing has matured superbly in the last year, and he was rewarded with more fish this year and some trophy trout. Durness will kick your ass if you can’t adapt and fish to the limit of your capabilities. Even then she can sometimes still kick your ass, but as Ed says I am grateful for that. I would rather work hard for my rewards. We fished Badenloch on route home and I was struggling with the 1/2lb fest. We had 75 to the boat by end of play. Normally a magnificent day, but in the aftermath of a legendary trip it was more like detox at the Betty Ford clinic.
Maybe Durness is like Marmite for folks? I personally love it and am glad it is not for the faint hearted. Spread the word Derek it is crap please. It will keep the masses away from my slice of heaven.  :z4

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 14/09/2019 at 11:59 »
There's a monumental difference between rubbish and difficult...

If you want to catch 100+ to the boat 3 to the pound  troot with a team of three wets I'd go elsewhere (we did just that on the way home on badenloch and I got piss bored by the end of it) .

But if you want to catch trout of a decent stamp but potentially have to really work for it then I'd highly recommend Durness to anyone.

Horses for courses but I know what I'd rather be doing 😎

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #12 on: 14/09/2019 at 12:54 »
Did I say it was crap? I have had some good fishing there, I used to hire a boat from the Smoo cave hotel on caladil, and had a spectacular afternoon, I have had good fishing on Borrolan when it was let by the Cape wrath hotel,what put me off was the 7 guys on Caladil one evening chucking every thing at the fish,and the coil of barbed wire that ripped the leg on my good waders, I have fished widely through out the highlands and I know Durness is a nice place but I know places that are its equal but not as widely Known, and given the money I would be on Orkney :z12 Derek Roxborough

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #13 on: 15/09/2019 at 01:47 »
I don't seem to recall suggesting that you referred to Durness as crap 🤔

I do however clearly remember alluding to the fact that you called it rubbish. Which...

"it was rubbish"  "Derek Roborough"

Yes, yes you did  :z16

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #14 on: 15/09/2019 at 16:06 »
but I didn't say it was crap, rubbish , yes but not crap, the fishing was better when it was run by the Cape Wrath hotel, I used to go there in the 70's( not the hotel) we camped round the back of the golf course,even Charles Marsham ( boat on Caladil) isn't too chuffed with the new way, you could get a boat from the Smoo cave Hotel, I have other preferences for my fishing now :z12 Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com