Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

James Laraway

Re: Durness trip of a lifetime 😎
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 22:31:45 PM »
Out of interest, what do you think the big 'un weighed ?

Never fished fitness but it is now on my list !

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 12:05:57 PM »
Steven, itís not for me to answer Jamesís question, however seeing as how the weight has been given to a particular newspaper then I guess you should answer. This would be with the caveat that it was guessed by IAIN who used to manage a well known trout farm and that the weight given was conservative.

Eddie

As Shakespeare said, it is better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
Agreed I suppose...

I hate putting weights to fish that aren't verified on scales but I had asked Iain for his opinion who as Dad pointed out has likely sized and graded more trout then the majority of us combined. Anyways he put the weight at a Conservative 9lb. Was it bang on 9lbs I have nae idea but it was definitely the biggest wild trout I've held in my arms and having had 3 trips to New Zealand I have had one or two decent fish over the years...

:z18

Steven.

James Laraway

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 13:47:12 PM »
it can be tricky, especially when its a real brute.

I landed a couple of 'brutes' from a well known pike fishing loch in Aberdeenshire years back. I remember thinking with the second one " I think its going 10lbs.....

I was not far off at 8lb 14 but I will never forget that fish...

congrats on your one - I will now defo have to cast a line on those hallowed waters...  :z16

† Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum